We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

Byron Bay, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are going to New Zealand next month and I was hoping someone could give me a hand with the itinerary. We are both 19 and hoping to travel fairly cheaply, we are hiring a car and will be driving ourselves. Would this amount of driving be okay or are we overreaching?

Is there anything else we should see or do that I haven't written? And is Tauranga worth visiting or should we just go straight to Rotorua?

Any input is appreciated! Cheers

Our (very rough) draft itinerary

10. Gold Coast to Auckland arrive 2.20pm

Hire car pickup

- Sightseeing

- Harbour bridge

- Mt Eden

- Sky tower

Overnight Auckland

11. Auckland

- Bungy?? (If we can work up the courage! - we are also going to South Island so might do it there instead)

Drive to Tauranga (≈2.5hrs)

- Mt Maunganui

Overnight Tauranga

12. Tauranga

Drive to Rotorua (≈1hr)

- Hot pools

- Zorbing

Overnight Rotorua

Drive Rotorua to Taupo (≈1hr)

- Huka falls

- Craters of the moon

- Hole in one challenge (bf plays golf)

Overnight Taupo

Drive Taupo to Auckland (≈3.5hrs)

Via Waitomo caves??

Drop off hire car

Overnight Auckland airport

15. 9am fly to QUEENSTOWN

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,922 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

Welcome to TA - seems like you have about 4.5 days so this should work, except that since you come from Byron, you might be underwhelmed by Tauranga in winter. I would go straight to Rotorua & perhaps play golf there too - not many golf courses have boiling mud pools & steam vents!

Byron Bay, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

Thanks for your reply zhuhai. We might skip Tauranga and head straight to Rotorua instead that way we're not driving everyday and have more time to relax. I'll check out your suggestion of golf, my boyfriend would love that. Do you recommend Waitomo caves? I've seen caves in Australia so not sure if it would be worth it? Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

Both of you aged 19? You will need to check very carefully into car rental as most will not rent to under 21 yr olds. Some may rent to under 21s however they insist that you have full insurance coverage with lots of conditions. Forewarned is forearmed!

You could have a look at going via bus to Rotorua/Taupo and perhaps consider doing Waitomo Caves as a bus tour from Auckland.

Byron Bay, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

Hi expatkiwiwairoa. We are booking through jucy rentals and they have assured me that its okay! We are getting full hire insurance coverage anyway but it wouldn't hurt to check again. Thanks :)

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

I love caves, Waitomo Caves do have impressive glow worm. They are impressive enough to be worth a visit, but there are certainly more spectacular caves to be seen. In June, you would have the tours nearly to yourself which makes things much nicer.

You can also go blackwater rafting while there, but its nowhere near as exciting as it sounds and I struggle to recommend it. You basically set in tyre tubes and get towed around a still pond. Whitewater rafting is a lot more exciting and action packed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

First of all I would like to appreciate your itinerary. A lot of suggestions and advice have been offered which will really help you. Just wanted to add one more. Be flexible in your itinerary. You are coming with your boyfriend to enjoy. Make it more memorable even if it means visiting less number of places. Wish you a happy and fun filled trip.

Byron Bay, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

Thanks for your replies :)

We'll try and be as flexible as possible. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to experience things so we'll go with the flow and see where we end up! Thanks everyone

8. Re: North Island Itinerary 4 days - Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16