We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 night trip Mid November - Itinerary help please!

San Jose...
Level Contributor
59 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
6 night trip Mid November - Itinerary help please!

Hello TA community!

We are planning a trip to the North Island November 8-14 and would like a reality check to make sure our plans are feasible within the time frame. Any suggestions and tips are much appreciated!

Day 1: Arrive Sat 11/8 midday and check in hotel in Auckland. Explore surrounding neighborhood

Day 2: Planning to book an Auckland full day Tour with New Zealand Tours. Pick up rental car.

Day 3: Head south to Bridal Veil Falls and on to Waitomo area to explore the caves (Spellbound or Waitomo-Glowworm is better experience??). Continue on to see Marokopa Falls/Natural Bridge. Then drive to stay overnight in Taupo. Would this be too much in one day? Should we find some place to stay closer to Waitomo and drive to Taupo in the morning?

Day 4: Assuming we are already in Taupo, we will drive to see Huka Falls and visit the Orakei korako Thermal park. How does this compare to the one in Rotorua? Should we skip Orakei and head straight to Rotorua instead? Staying 2 night in Rotorua.

Day 5&6: Any suggestions for activities in Rotorua? We have looked into the canopy tours, zorbing, and the Waiotapu thermal park. Any other suggestions are appreciated! Driving back to Auckland and staying overnight to catch a flight the next day.

Day 7: Return rental car and flight to Fiji midday.

Thank you!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 night trip Mid November - Itinerary help please!

I just came back from a visit to the North Island. I based my stay in Taupo and went from there. You can easily spend a whole day in Taupo. I definately recommend visiting Huka Honey Hive, Huka Falls and time it so you can see the Aratiatia Rapids (which is quite cool!)

Also - in Rotorua - head to the buried village if you are looking for a bit of history (you will see the beauty of the Blue and Green Lakes on your drive!). The Mitai Maori performance was fantastic. The Rotorua museum was quite interesting as well.

We didn't do any crazy activities - which I am sure could fill your day in Rotorua as well! Have a great trip!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,261 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 night trip Mid November - Itinerary help please!

I think day 2 is too long & could be quite exhausting. AAmaps gives the driving time as 6:20 without the detour to the Marakopa Falls. Add on a min of 30 min for the walk to Bridal Veil Falls; an hour for the touristy Waitomo Glowworm Cave + lunch and you are looking at a min of 9-10 hours travelling with quite complex navigation.

Spellbound is a very good experience but takes 2-3 hours. I suggest you stay the night at Waitomo & then you will only have time for a short stop at Huka Falls if you want to detour through Taupo for lunch.

San Jose...
Level Contributor
59 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 night trip Mid November - Itinerary help please!

@zhuhai2007 & @jessd716: Thanks for the suggestions! We will probably change day 2 and stay over night near Waitomo. I suspected it would be a long day as well, just wanted to see if anyone has done it.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 18:23
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 night trip Mid November - Itinerary help please!

Agree with Zhuhai - day 3 stay in Waitomo village or nearby.

Day 4 - drive to Taupo and explore - Orakei Korako is off the main highway leading into Taupo. It's a very pretty and more compact thermal park. Be good to have a little less activity after the previous busy days.

Visit Huka Falls, and a few other spots then continue on to Rotorua for 2 nights.

Days 5 & 6 - Rotorua has a wealth of activities and attractions. Rainbow Springs, Agrodome, Redwood forest walk or Hamurana Springs, and Te Puia are other possibilities. Enjoy a Maori concert and feast one night.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 19:46
5. Re: 6 night trip Mid November - Itinerary help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:17