We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re timing of East Cape Drive

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Advice re timing of East Cape Drive

Hi there. My current thinking on part of our north island drive is, having done rotorua, we would set out early in the morning to do the East Cape drive around to Gisborne.

At the moment I think we could stop at Opotiki after Rotorua to fuel up, eat morning tea, look around a bit before heading off to our planned accomodation at Anaura Bay where we plan to spend a couple of days in a lovely B&B before heading off to Gisborne and then Napier.

While we don't necessarily want to rush around the East Cape, I wonder if it's conceivable that a full day spent driving (with stops to take in views etc) around the East Cape to Anaura Bay is reasonable? Or is that just silly and there won't be time to enjoy the drive?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re timing of East Cape Drive

Not an expert as we only travelled as far as Whanarua Bay on our trip towards the East Cape. I remember it being a twisty road and although the scenery was wonderful we didn't find all that many places to stop and have a rest. I think you are being very optimistic in your travel times. Perhaps it can be done, but at the expense of missing out on the experience of the area.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re timing of East Cape Drive

The drive around the East Cape is really great but you won't want to rush it. It'll take at least 2 hrs to Opotiki and then a good 3hrs up and around the top. If you are going to drive this route then you can't miss the East Cape lighthouse and the trek up to it for fabulous views. The lighthouse is a side trip & you should allow at least one extra hour. The coastline is spectacular & rugged all the way until you head in land near Ruatoria. There is so much Maori & early settler history, it's a photographers dream trip, so many abandoned dreams, don't rush it. Here's a link to my photos, maybe you can pick & choose what sights you want to see.

https:/…

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re timing of East Cape Drive

This is really helpful thank you. We now plan to stay over at waihau bay and then anaura bay, to really break it up and take it easy. Now to look at your photos!

4. Re: Advice re timing of East Cape Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:20