We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongariro National Park

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tongariro National Park

We will be staying at Lake Taupo in March 2015 in an RV. I was hoping to do a day trip to Tongariro National Park, but since there don't seem to be any roads into the park--just around it's periphery--I was concerned that perhaps there wouldn't be all that much we could do/see traveling in our RV. We are not intrepid hikers (1-2 hours max). Would a trip to this NP be worth it for us?

Thanks!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,147 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongariro National Park

Besides the roads that surround the park, the Bruce Road steadily climbs the base of Ruapehu and affords decent views of the general layout of the central plateau - especially on fine days. As intrepid hikers, a trip up the Bruce Road from Whakapapa village to do some of the short walks around the village are awesome in summer.

Driving from Taupo to Whakapapa village isn't challenging, and the road is in good condition. You can also drive around Lake Taupo, heading south on SH1 and returning from the NP using the western access road.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongariro National Park

We are going in November, so I researched this information for us to do, as we too are not intrepid hikers. You can drive the Volcanic Touring Loop-

Take a half day drive from Turangi around the volcanic loop. Head west at Turangi and follow State Highway 47 to National Park Village. From there drive to Whakapapa Village, where a few shorter walks are:

SHORT WALKS near Whakapapa Village

Whakapapa Nature Walk : 15 minute loop track

Tawhai Falls Walk : 20 minutes, return

Mounds Walk : 20 minutes return

Hope this helps you plan your journey.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tongariro National Park

Thank you so much! Both messages gave great information. I had begun to think that we wouldn't get to see this part of the country, since everything I looked at was about lengthy treks.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tongariro National Park

Your first stop could be the DoC Visitors' Centre in Whakapapa Village. They can advise you on short walks and on the state of the Bruce Rd.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Under normal summer conditions the road is an easy drive for any vehicle. You can find information about cafe hours & chairlift rides here:

http://www.mtruapehu.com/summer/

5. Re: Tongariro National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:16