We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days auckland 2 kids 2 adults suggestions??motorhome?

brisbane
5 posts
Save Topic
5 days auckland 2 kids 2 adults suggestions??motorhome?

hi all wondering if you can recommend and itinerary. Kids are only 2years old and 10months. We are thinking of doing a motorhome tour and go up north but is 5 nights enough time to enjoy it.Or should we just make auckland our base and hire a car?? please help

thanks!

Auckland Whale & Dolphin Safari
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Unique Visions Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours, Photography Tours
Auckland Scenic Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Milestone Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days auckland 2 kids 2 adults suggestions??motorhome?

What time of the year are you coming? Although if you're heading north the weather won't be too cold unless it's right in the middle of winter. Campervanning is a good idea but I think with 2 little ones it might be too much hassle. Have you thought about the seating layout in the van while driving- I'm not sure which van you're thinking of hiring but you'll only be able to fit one child up front (if any, depends on seating) and the one in the back will be side on to the road. Also car seats may not fit all positions.

I think your best bet would be to hire a car and stay at either motels or holiday parks in their cabins or motel units. This is the type of place you would stay in a van anyway and they are great places to meet people and they cater for kids with large playgrounds etc (usually).

http://www.top10.co.nz/

And if you just concentrate on Northland, 5 nights will be fine to check a lot of places out.

brisbane
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days auckland 2 kids 2 adults suggestions??motorhome?

hi

thanks for that we will be travelling in end of May and looking at a motorhome with beds in it etc a 4berth.

Just didnt know if 5 days in north island is enough to drive around etc thanks

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days auckland 2 kids 2 adults suggestions??motorhome?

I agree with Zappers that with 2 small kids, hire car and Top 10 holiday park cabins would be your best bet and far less hassle. 5 days is not much to do the whole of the North Island, but you could spend a couple of nights in Rotorua, a couple in Auckland, and a couple up North. Depends on your interests and how good your kids are in a car. The whole of the North Island has great beaches and seascapes, so you don't necessarily need to travel the length and breadth of it. Rotorua is fascinating for the geothermal stuff and has great farmshow (Rainbow Springs - also see kiwis there) for the kids. We always stay at Cosy Cottage in Rotorua - quite basic but adequate self catering cabins, but a great heated outdoor swimming pool which my kids love in winter, and hot spa pools for the adults to wallow in. If you want to see huge old kauri trees and forests, Northland is the place.

4. Re: 5 days auckland 2 kids 2 adults suggestions??motorhome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 15:20