We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand in May

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
122 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand in May

We are 2 couples arriving in Aukland from the U.S. on May 22nd and leaving on June 2nd. One of our party had heart surgery 2 months ago, so we are not going to be doing any strenuous activities. We will probably rent a car for at least part of the time.

We are thinking of taking a hopper to the south island for a couple of days.

We would love any and all suggestions of what is realistic to see, budget places to stay, restaurants etc. This will be our first trip and to be honest, we havn't had time to do the research that we should have.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand in May

You still have time to research and you definately should have some ideas about what you want to see and do as N.Z. has such a lot to offer. If you don't want to be travelling all the time you could base yourself somewhere for a couple of days and just do day trips to places which may interest you. If you can give some clues as to your interests i.e. vineyards, shopping, historic sites, nature, culture etc. others may be able to help. What is a hopper? We don't have this term here.

What sort of accommodation do you prefer? There is a huge range available. Suggest to begin searching the web for the kind of thing that takes your fancy. The time you will be here is the start of winter so you will probably want somewhere warm to stay.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand in May

Hi Bendtraveler7

A couple of days in the South ??? you with want and Need 2 weeks.

Most travellers love the South more than the North.

But if thats all you got fly to Queenstown or Te-anau and go to Milford sound, it's the number 1 tourist spot.

I prefer Te-anau but i don't think you will be able to fly from Auckland to Te-anau

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
122 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand in May

Thanks for the input. By hopper I meant a flight between the north and south islands as there isn't time obviously to drive. Is it worth doing that, even for just a few days? The countryside in Lord of the Rings was incredible.

We are definately interested in culture, country, probably not much shopping, winneries if they are in a beautiful environment, we don't drink much wine.

I wondered about B+Bs as opposed to hotels.

I like the idea of staying in a few places and doing day trips.

I heard a bus tour of Aukland is a good way to get an overview of the city as well as sailing.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand in May

Forget Auckland..........fly to and base yourself in Queenstown for the duration of your stay. there are lots of days trips you can do from here, Te Anau, Wanaka, Glenorchy (believe me you will be in scenery overload by the time you leave), maybe even do an overnighter to the West Coast.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand in May

Agree that the Queenstown area would probably suit your interests. Arrowtown and Wanaka are lovely towns to stay and you can take day trips from there to visit vineyards and see some incredible scenery as well. There are many nice restaurants in this area also.

B and B accommodation or similar would be more friendly and comfortable. Have a look at www.friars.co.nz .

The other alternative would be to fly to Nelson and stay there perhaps. This area has a lot to see and do. There are great vineyards, beaches for walking, scenery, arts and crafts etc.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
122 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand in May

Okay, I have a little more information about our up-coming trip. We are flying in to Aukland May 22nd, the 2 men of the party are going immediately to Taupo to hunt starting the 23rd and probably hunting until the 25th or 26th. We fly out of Aukland on the evening of June 2nd. We are trying to decide if we wives should drive them to Taupo and then spend that time around Taupo, or just stay in Aukland. What are suggestions of places we don't want to miss? Which is better for the limited time we have, the North or South island?

Thanks

7. Re: New Zealand in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:16