We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hours to spare

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
5 hours to spare

We arrive on a domestic flight from Wellington at 6pm and dont fly out from Auckland until 12am.

Does that give us any time to look around Auckland or should we just wait it out at the airport? We are traveling with 2 children aged 8 & 5.

Thanks for your advise

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Sky Tower General Admission in...
6 Reviews
from US$21.30*
SkyWalk Auckland
20 Reviews
from US$110.10*
SkyWalk and Dine
1 Review
from US$183.50*
Auckland Hop-on Hop-off Tour
581 Reviews
from US$33.00*
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hours to spare

It can be quite expensive to travel into the city from the auckland airport, apart from that, you could approach a taxi / shuttle and ask them for a price for a drive into the city, see the sights and back out again in time for your check in time. There is sufficient time, but at 6 pm the traffic will still be heavy but eases off later in the day.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hours to spare

You need to be at International awhile before your flight - usually 2 hrs before. That really does not give you much time but the traffic from about 6.30 on should not be too bad. To be honest theres not a lot you could see at night in that time. I would seriously just consider relaxing at the International terminal prior to your flight. Upstairs (on the side before you go through to customs) there is a very interesting display showing the history of one of our pioneer aviators, Amelia Earhart plus shops and cafes etc.

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hours to spare

Thanks for your replies.

We were hoping to have enough time to go to the sky tower.

My little boy will find the display about Amelia Earhart very interesting as they have been studying about her this term at school.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hours to spare

The butterfly house is out there (by the airport) but I don't know what time it closes, might pay to check. There is also a mini golf course which might be fun for the kids look at auckland-airport.co.nz/Guide/… It shuts at 8pm in the winter. I think it would be good to get out of the airport for a bit if you can but don't think there is time to see much outside the actual airport area.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hours to spare

I reckon you should have enough time. If you're flying on the same airline, you should be able to check your bags in at Wellington. From memory, taxis cost around $60 to get you into the CBD. So you could get off your plane, grab a cab, be at the Sky Tower by 7pm, spend a couple of hours there, and catch a cab at around 9pm to get back at the airport around 9:30-10pm. That would give you more than enough time to get your departure tax and clear security and customs while your kids are still awake.

There is a bus you can take, but it's obviously slower - I think around an hour. http://www.airbus.co.nz/home/.

If you can't check in your bags at Wellington, you might need to play it by ear - those checkin queues can be awfully slow moving.

Mentioned in this post
Sky Tower
Sky Tower
9,216 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hours to spare

Thanks for all your replies. We have spoken with the airline and we can check our bags straight through at Wellington so we dont need to worry about them at Auckland.

We will play it by ear on the day but would love to have a quick look at Auckland.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 hours to spare

I would recommend getting a taxi in and back and doing Sky Tower. That was all we had time to do too and it was fantastic - you get to see the whole city in a short space of time!!

Mentioned in this post
Sky Tower
Sky Tower
9,216 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
8. Re: 5 hours to spare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 07:16