We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiwi International Hotel-robbery

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Kiwi International Hotel-robbery

My sister has just returned from a 2 month tour of the south Pacific, cruising and touring. While at the Kiwi International 4 days ago they were robbed of approx. $3,000 Canadian in jewellery, cameras , Visa,clothing etc. They are esp. devastated at losing 2 months of pictures that were in the digital camera. Since my sister is not very knowledgeable w/ computers she wanted me to send out the message that if staying at this hotel be VERY vigilant about locking the doors- as the large signs in the room suggest. They were down doing their laundry -a few doors down from their room- when the break- in occurred.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiwi International Hotel-robbery

where is this hotel

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiwi International Hotel-robbery

I am assuming you mean the one in Queen St, Auckland.

This message is pertinent to anyone staying in any hotel in NZ (or the rest of the world for that matter), but I guess in particular budget/backpackers type hotels.

It is a sad but true fact, that you must always lock your door, even if you are just down the hallway.

I would hate for this post to give the particular hotel in question a bad reputation, as its a general problem, not just specific to one hotel.

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiwi International Hotel-robbery

She said it as on Mackenzie?? M'Kenzie road at the airport. As a Trip Advisor person who now has travelled a lot of places and quite simply will not travel anywhere without TA approval it simply reinforces that "look 'er up...check out TA.. and you can be ensured of a good spot"

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiwi International Hotel-robbery

Breakins at hotels are unfortunately common worldwide. Tourists on holiday are an easy target for thieves. It pays to utilise the safety deposit facilities available in an establishment and keep attractive items out of sight at all times. Hotel burglars are opportunist thieves, In / out and away.

If you are unsure of safety deposit facilities ask before you go. Most hotels these days have a website or at least an email address which can be used.

I just hope sister was insured.

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiwi International Hotel-robbery

deductable of $2,500...so not really.The jewellery was a major hit but the pictures! They probably just deleted the whole mess of them. If they had any ounce of compassion they would leave the memory card where it would be found. She did leave a message in the laundry room, leaving her name and address if anyone came upon it...but something tells me it isn't going to happen.

6. Re: Kiwi International Hotel-robbery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 03:19