We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Cheap from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Fly Cheap from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand?

Hello, We'll need to fly from Sydney to Auckland late December 2008. Cheapest way? Or is it less expensive to just buy a round trip and not use the return back to Sydney (we only need one-way to NZ)? Is the sea between Sydney and Auckland rough in late December?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly Cheap from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand?

You will be travelling at the peakest period for travel across the Tasman. It is in the middle of school holidays and summertime and its Christmas - need I say more.

It is unlikely that you will get any specials at that time of the year but in case some become available I would subscribe to the airnew zealand websitem qantas website and pacific blue websites. These three airlines do most of the budget travel from AKL to australia. By subscribing to the website you will automatically be norified by email of impending specials.

It used to be the practice that a return flight was often cheaper than a one way. This is not now the case as the competition on this route is pretty fierce and the return flight is normally 2 singles plus taxes. The taxes and govt charges out of Aust are greater than out of NZ.

House of travel.co.nz has a flight selector which picks the best deals available across the ditch on a given day which you amy also choose to try out.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly Cheap from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand?

travelcafe - another airline to check out airfares on is Emirates. We flew from AKL to SYD last year return, and are also using them again later this year. The service is great, and the airfares are cheaper than Air NZ and Qantas - unless you can find some super-duper deal that I haven't been able to!

I booked through www.flightcentre.co.nz They have a "lowest price guarantee" - I told them I could find my own airfare for a certain amount, but they came back with one quite a bit less - so it's worth doing your homework beforehand...

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly Cheap from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand?

"Is the sea between Sydney and Auckland rough in late December?"

Why? Are you thinking of swimming? :)

There is no other practical way of getting across the ditch. It's a 3.5-4 hour flight.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly Cheap from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand?

HAHAHA - zappers - that was funny! :-)

I've always thought the rumour was untrue that people in the States think New Zealand is an island off Australia - however, now I know it is true!!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly Cheap from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand?

Thanks for all the helpful info folks! Glad we all have a great sense of humor!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly Cheap from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand?

Enjoy your cruise travelcafe, make sure you do take some sickness remedy, it can still be quite unsettled in NZ waters around that time of the year.

7. Re: Fly Cheap from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 10:17