We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland May 2009

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Solon, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland May 2009

Im looking to fly into Auckland for roughly 10-15 days. I would like to see as many of the amazing northern beaches as possible. Not sure if I will get down to the South Island, Can you please give me some ideas of places to go and cheap places to stay. My friend and I will be in our early 20's and want to just experience what Auckland has to offer.

Also, if any of you have been to Bora Bora or the French Polynesian, please give me some ideas, I cant decide between the two. Thank you!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
126 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland May 2009

Bora Bora is an island in French Polynesia (Tahiti & Her Islands). Moorea is another island, and Tahiti is your mainland island.

Haven't been to Bora Bora but Moorea is stunning, would spend time here over Papeete (Tahiti).

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
252 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland May 2009

I don't want to put Auckland down and don't obviously have all the facts of your planned vacation but coming all the way to NZ and not visiting the South Island is a bit like me traveling to the USA for two weeks and only staying in Los Angeles. The south island is the primary reason the majority of visitors come here so do keep that in mind.

If you really want to stick up north then the places to go for beaches are Mt Maunganui (about 3 hours south-east of Auckland), The Coromandel Peninsula (about 2 hours south-east) or maybe Auckland's North Shore, so nice and close. Piha beach on Auckland's west coast is pretty good too.

I do need to warn you that our beaches are nothing like what you'll find in the Pacific Island's, they are great but NZ is not generally considered a beach vacation destination.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland May 2009

It would help if you could indicate why particularly the beaches - surfing, wildlife or simple a love of beaches?

The beaches are very different - in general those on the west coast are wilder and those on the east coast are quieter.

Piha and Karekare beaches to the west of Auckland are very wild and popular surfing spots. Takapuna Beach and the other beaches on Auckland's north shore are virtually in the city and has a suburban backdrop.

In my view the finest beaches in NZ are to be found on the east coast north from Whangarei.

Other great spots that come to mind are Pakiri and Ruakaka.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland May 2009

Hi BWG

For inexpensive accommodation you might enjoy staying at backpackers. They are generally of a high standard with a variety of accommodation choices. You can stay in dorms with bunks, or pay a bit more for a twin or double room, many of the rooms with their own ensuite bathroom.

Once you have decided your itinerary you may want to select your accommodation, though there is no need to book in advance for May travel. This will allow you to remain flexible in your plans and stay or move on, as you wish newzealand.com/travel/…backpackers.cfm

Enjoy your planning :)

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland May 2009

The North Island is the place to be. The South Island is not a beach vacation destination.

It's also a lot warmer in the north, but keeping in mind, it is the beginning of winter. You will still have warm sunny day's in the north, but you may also get a little rain. Places for you to visit would be Bay of Islands. Mt Maunganui and the Coromandel. Stunning scenery and sandy beaches.

NZ has very good hostels in the lower price range. You will not have a problem finding accommodation that suits you. To meet people in your own age group, you may like to consider a packpacking tour.

Heaps to choose from in the North Island and operating from Auckland.

Manchester
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland May 2009

hi

Not sure if you've been to NZ yet, but if your going to Auckland and want beaches contact a company call hauraki adventures. www.hauraki-adventures.co.nz they hire boats and jet skis just 30minutes north of Auckland. We hired a jet ski for the day, they gave us some great directions. We must have seen 20 different islands and stopped on 5 of them, most of the time we could find a beach with nobody else on it. We also see a pod of dolphins and they came over to the ski and played with us for about a hour. This was deffinatley oue best day of the trip.

7. Re: Auckland May 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 15:17