We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Distances

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
139 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Distances

Does anyone know of a good website that can tell me the distances between cities in New Zealand? I want to drive a lot, but will fly to major spots if it seems more efficient to fly.

Thanks

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Distances

Hi There

This link will help you out with travel times and distances.

It is very generous in its allowances for travel times.

aatravel.co.nz/tourist/northisland_travellin…

Cheers

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Distances

Here's a second opinion:

accommodationz.co.nz/NorthIsland/distancesno…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Distances

Hi,

driving aroung NZ is very easy and very quick. i recently took a driving holiday in the north island and compared to the distances here in Australia found it very easy. we took two weeks and covered most of the island (we were traveling at a leisurely pace) so i wouldn't agree that flying is more efficiant in NZ, plus you miss out on some fantastic stuff that you only find when driving (things not mentioned in any guide books)

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Distances

Both websites given in previous replies are really good - have just come back from NZ and used them a lot. Although they can be a bit conservative some times. If you get the chance, drive from Queenstown through Wanaka and the Haast pass to the West Coast. It took about 5 hours to get from Q'town to Fox Glacier. The roads are excellent and the scenery is just absolutely stunning, most scenic drive I have EVER taken!

London, UK
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Distances

If you need to plot between specific smaller locations then you can use www.wises.co.nz

It allows you to choose any place in NZ even down to street names and provides detailed directions and a route map. It estimates distances but not travelling times.

You can compare the routes to those produced on www.maporama.com which also provides a zoomable map, directions and travel times. Beware though, I found a mistake in the distance calculations on this site for a route. So I advise comparing the two sites.

Austin, Tx
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Distances

Obviously, several responders have been to New Zealand! We'll be driving there next March. What to pack? Wool or layers of cotton with a Gortex windbreaker? We'll be in both North and South Islands. Thanks.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Distances

Hi Misty Jean

Where abouts in New Zealand will you be.

If you are in the top of the North Island, March can still be quite warm. Swimming weather even. East Coast of the South Island can still be warm in March too.

If you are heading for the mountains then take layers. Easy enough to peel them off as the day warms up. Mornings can be a bit chilly in the South though.

If on the West Coast of the South Island always prepare for rain. Carry a rainproof jacket. It can get very wet there, but that of course gives rise to the green look which is what people go there to see.

Hope this helps

Steve

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Distances

for march you won't really need much wool, though i would suggest at least one woolen jumper in case you hit a cold patch. i was wearing skirts and short sleeved t shirts in feb so in march you will probably need much the same plus a jacket if the wind comes up. it certainly won't be cold by your standards.

Austin, Tx
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Distances

Kiwi acct and georgiamorrison!

Thank you for your replies and information. In typical tourist fashion, we are going to try to see as much of N. and S. Islands,driving, in 3 weeks as possible March into April. Itinerary begins March 14 in Auckland, Coromandel, Rotorua, Napier, fly to Blenhiem/Picton (sea-kayak there), Punakaiki, Fox Glacier, Wanaka Springs, Doubtful Sound overnight, finishing in Dunedin. Sounds like I should just take some basics and be prepared to layer as conditions dictate. Any clue what we should wear to go sea kayaking on Mar 23 through Marlborough Sounds? Initial information from the travel agent recommends sun screen and warm clothing. Sounds contradictory to me! ANY suggestions on where to eat, super wineries, places NOT to miss would be gratefully received. We know we can't do EVERYTHING, but we want to hit as much as is humanly possible for 55/60+ types!! Thanks again.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Distances

Hi once again

As contradictory as it sounds, your travel agent was correct when they said warm clothing and sunscreen.

The sun in New Zealand and Australia (and indeed South America) is very strong insofar as you will get burnt without sunscreen in a relatively short time. By short time I mean exposure of less than half an hour and you will start to redden up, an hour and you are burnt.

The warm clothing would be incase winds get up and you get a breeze of the sea, again layers would help. If you are paddling you will get warm so you would not want anything too cumbersome in a kayak. Polyprop clothing would be a good choice as it is thin yet warm.

The link below shows you what conditions are like and gives you an idea of what to wear. You could always email them as an idea as well.

http://www.seakayaknz.co.nz/photo_page.html

Cheers