We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or Airport shuttle

England
Level Contributor
595 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi or Airport shuttle

I am wondering whether it is best to use a taxi or the Airport Shuttle. From Airport at 11am to the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

Looked at the Airport web site and it looks like if you want to use the shuttle I should pre book it.

Any views would be appreciated. Also room only in the Hotel. Are there plenty of places near my hotel where I could eat?

Thanks.

Sue

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

Easiest way is the airbus, which runs every 15 minutes - no need to prebook for this one.

www.airbus.co.nz

This will take you to within 2 minutes walk of your hotel.

There are all sorts of dining options within very easy walking distance of your hotel.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

Sue, for Crown Plaza, it's right in the middle of the city.

Some suggestions (not inside the mall/hotel building):

- Elliott Stables: a new cute boutique foodcourt offering a great cafe, a pizzeria, a German sausage shop, florists, tea shop, an organice deli shop, etc. Great for breakfast/lunch.

- Eat Asian (underground): cheap, and tasty Asian foodcourt. The Malaysian counter first to your left (couldn't remember the name) is particularly great!

- Mai Thai: Fabulous Thai cuisine!

- Mexican Cafe: A great colorful and fun establishment

- Daikoku Ramen: A Japanese ramen-noodle shop for a quick and cheap eat!

- dine by Peter Gordon (at Sky City Grand Hotel): for fine dining

There's plenty more options from fastfood chains such as Wendy's, McDonald's, Burger King, Starbucks, and other alternatives as you walk along Queen Street. :-)

Taxi can be a bit expensive in peak hours/traffic jam. Airbus would probably be sufficient! Have fun!

England
Level Contributor
595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

Many thanks and it sounds great! Is the Asian food court underground where the cafe you suggested for breakfast or is it underground where my Hotel is??

Too many questions but OH! I am so excited!!

Sue

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

hi keela

The asian underground foodcourt and the cafe/breakfast thing is two different sites.

The cafe, Reslau Cafe, is located in the posh foodcourt/eatieries called Elliott Stables, which is around the corner from your hotel/mall back entrance (Elliott Street). www.elliottstables.co.nz

The Asian underground foocourt is called Eat Asian, on the Strand Arcade on Queen Str.

www.queenstreet.co.nz/websites/eatasian/

The malaysian stall is called IPOH.

Check out Queen Street's website that lets you 'stroll' along to see where is what! :-D

www.roadworks.co.nz/queenstreet/streetscroll/

click on either the odd numbers, or the even numbers.

England
Level Contributor
595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

Thanks that is great printing it off so that I won't forget. My sense of direction is awful.

Another question on a different topic is that I need to get to Mass on the Sunday 23rd or Sat. night. I have found the Cathedral St. Patrick's and another Sr. Benedict's but I am unable to work out where they are in relation to the city. There is no address given.

Grateful if you could help me with this.

Sue

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

St Patrick's on Wyndham Street is the obvious choice. Not only it's beautiful, it's also the Cathedral (where the cardinal sits) and it's right in the city central.

It's about 2 minute walk from the Sky Tower.

St Benedict's is a gothic style church, larger but seems emptier/more hollow in the inside, located on the end of the Upper Queen Street, on St Benedict Street. It can be a bit of a hike if you must walk.

Details:

St Patrick's Cathedral

43 Wyndham Street, Auckland Central, Auckland

Phone: (09) 303 4509

http://www.stpatricks.org.nz/

For map: http://www.zoomin.co.nz/info/nz/auckland/auckland+central/wyndham+street/43/-stpatricks+cathedral/

Masses

Sunday

8am, 11am, 4.30pm, 7pm

Monday - Friday : 7am, 12.15pm

Saturday & Public Holidays: 8:30am

England
Level Contributor
595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

Thank you so much for this detailed information re Mass times. I had thought about St. Benedict's because they have a vigil Mass on Saturday. 8am Sunday would suit me fine if it is central and not far from my hotel.

Will say a little prayer for you!!

Sue

London UK
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

Jumping in on this post, we are staying at the CP, arriving overnight from LAX in December on a Tuesday morning. What is the rough cost of a taxi as there is 5 of us and I wondered if it was more cost effective to get a cab instead of 5 tickets (3ad/2kids). Thanks

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

I am sorry. What do you mean 5 tickets? A cab is a taxi, so if there are 5 of you, you will need to get on the Airbus, or take a shuttle.

Otherwise you will have to fork out about $50 per taxi, depending on traffic.

London UK
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi or Airport shuttle

5 tickets means one ticket for each of the 5 people travelling. If the cost per adult is guesstimate $10, and children are guesstimate $8, but the taxi cost would be $50, then it would be cheaper and more convenient for me to get a cab as I would be only saving $4 on the airbus. Is $50 an accuarate cost for a taxi from the aiport to the CP?