We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

Germany
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

On our round-the-world-trip next August we're planning some stopover days in Auckland and are looking for a nice luxury hotel in a good location.

We heard some good stories about the Langham, the Hilton and the Westin so far.

Which one would you recommend or avoid?

Or are there even better choices?

Thanx 2 all!! :)

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

I'd add the Hyatt to the list. We stayed there and had a 1 bedroom suite. One aspect that you might find particularly helpful on an around-the-world tour is that it had laundry facilities in the bathroom in the room. Highly recommend the spa as well.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
712 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

Langham is beautiful with good restaurants, Hyatt lovely with the best spa! restaurant not that great - never stayed at the Hilton, very pricey as you would expect has best location. Hyatt has shuttle that drops and picks you up from downtown Auckland where hundreds of restaurants and bars are. Enjoy your holiday.

NWT
Level Contributor
499 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

I'd go Sky City all the way.

It's very close to everything, and spotless.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,125 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

Is that Sky-city Hotel, or Skycity Grand for luxury stay?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

The Westin would have to be the best hotel in Auckland at the moment but is is possibly more business than leisure oriented. Reasonably new with a very modern feel and look and getting close to a 5 star.

Great location on the Viaduct so easy flat walk to downtown.

The Langham Club Rooms would have to be the best in the city if you are after old would opulance and excellent service. Langham Hotel is also just about as close to a 5 star hotel as NZ gets.

Otherwise next best would be the newly refurbished waterview rooms at the Hilton, right over the water on Princes Wharf.

Hyatt and Skycity Grand would be next best, both more 4 star hotels though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,557 posts
1,597 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

We always enjoy the Hilton Apartments. You do however have make sure a cruise boat is not due into port.

see review.- we just stayed again recently and it was super !

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255106-d255…

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

For big name brands, go for either Westin, Hilton, and Sky City Grand (5 star) whereas next door Sky City Hotel is only 4 star quality.

Langham is great but is situated across from auckland historic graveyard, and a little bit out of way from the central of all the action. Their High Tea and Club Room is fab though, their restaurant Partingtons is one of auckland's best.

For boutique luxury hotels, try Mollies, or go across to Waiheke Island for a night or two and stay at the Boatshed. I loved it so much I'd never want to leave.

enjoy!

Germany
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

Thanx 4 all the tips!

Right now we tend to choose the Sky City Grand which seems to have nice views and quite large rooms (is that correct?).

The Langham is a great value (even it's a "LHW"-member) but I'm not impressed by their old-style intérieur and it seems they don't have rooms with good views.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

I'm not sure about views, but yes large rooms depending on what type of room you booked.

The big plus as always is that it's so close to everything you need in the city.

Oh if it makes your decision making any easier, David Beckham on his tour to Auckland last week stayed at the Westin by the waterfront. :-)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking 4 nice luxury hotel in Auckland

No, I don't think the views from the Langham would be great. Skycity Grand would probably be better, depending on which side of the building you were on.