We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback about our 4 day itinerary

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback about our 4 day itinerary

My husband and I will be in Auckland for four days and after researching, were thinking about doing the following:

Day 1 - arrive early, hang out in the city, bus tour

Day 2 - Coast to Coast Tour (Waitakere Ranges, etc)

Day 3 - Road trip to Rotorua, stay the night

Day 4 - Drive up to the Coromandel Peninsula, stay the night

Day 5 - Depart in the morning

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appretiated!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback about our 4 day itinerary

Hi

Your itinerary looks fine and will enable to you see and do quite a lot in a short time. My only word of caution would be not to underestimate how long it will take to drive around the Coromandel. The roads are not fast and at this time of year are very busy. The bridge at Kopu which you will cross on the way back to Auckland is one lane and can be a real bottleneck.

The Explorer Bus is a good way to get an overview of Auckland. Have a look at:

www.explorerbus.co.nz

I definitely recommend a trip out to the Waitakere Ranges an area of exceptional natural beauty close to Auckland where you will find black sand beaches, regenerating forest, waterfalls, walks and fine views. Have a look at:

www.bushandbeach.co.nz

or

www.coast2coastnz.com

It will take you about 3 hours to drive to Rotorua so a reasonably prompt start would be a good idea.

From Rotorua I suggest that you take the back road to Tauranga (Tauranga Direct Road which leads through Pyes Pa). This road starts on the northern side of Lake Rotorua and will bring you out on SH29. You can if you wish bypass Tauranga by going through Bethlehem.

Enjoy your visit.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback about our 4 day itinerary

Personally I think you are taking too much on. Over the four days you will find that you are spending most of the day in the car (NZ does not have a motorway network the way Europe and the the US does).

Some suggestions for you to consider are as follows:

Day 1 - coffee in Devonport (pleasant 10 min ferry from CBD)and then reboard ferry for lunch on Waiheke Island ( www.waiheke.co.nz and www.fullers.co.nz. This is just 40 mins away and is a world away with beautiful wineries for lunch - Mudbrick or Cablebay and superb beaches to while away some time.

Day 2 - a walk in the Waitakere Ranges and then on to world famous Piha beach,Muriwai or Bethalls.

Day 3 - choose either Rotorua or the Coromandel for the remainder of your trip. Rotarua is nicknamed "Rotavegas" here as its pretty unremarkable as a town but offers a great base for various extreme sports and some amazing volcano safaris such as hells Gate, the buried village of Te Wairoa and Pohutu geyser that erupts 10-20 times a day in the Te Whakarewarewa & Te Puia reserve.

As for the Coromandel - the key sights are Hot Water Beach ( where you can dig your own thermal pool - the craft shop in the car park hires out spades!!), Cathedral Cove which is just beautiful and the superb surf beach at Whangamata

Have a great trip

Mike

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback about our 4 day itinerary

Hi

When are you looking to spend your time in Auckland???

This will make a difference to accommodation and travelling times.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback about our 4 day itinerary

Thank you so much for this information!

We will arrive mid-February.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback about our 4 day itinerary

Hi Toni

Your itinerary looks good to me.

Mid week for Rotorua and Coromandel the traffic or accommodation should not be a problem. There are so many options of towns to stay in on Coromandel Peninsular and there are also many many options for accommodation. Don't try to see too much of Coromandel in one day, just a small taste for when you return for a longer stay.

What time do you leave on Day 5?? Will you have to stay near the airport??

You will enjoy Coast to Coast tours, see the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Also look at Trip Advisor for accommodation and if you are booking in under 28 days www.wotif.com is the one to look at.

Enjoy New Zealand and do come back for a longer stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback about our 4 day itinerary

Any suggestions for a place to stay at Coromandel? How about Rotorua? My husband and I are in our early 30s and have traveled around a bit. We enjoy a comfortable, clean place, but not too expensive. Any other suggestions for these places would be great!

Thank You!

7. Re: Feedback about our 4 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 04:15