We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Brisbane
Level Contributor
10 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Ponsonby Road

My friends and I are arriving in Auckland soon on a Friday afternoon (the plane lands approx 2pm). Before we catch a ferry to Waiheke Island, we'd love to visit Ponsonby Road. Will we have enough time for a few hours of shopping on Ponsonby Road? - I hear this is the place to shop till you drop in Auckland. What time do the shops close and can we get to Waiheke Island for dinner? Any advice from locals or those well travelled much appreciated.

- from those in need of shopping therapy. Thanks.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ponsonby Road

Ponsonby Road has lots of quality designer shops, the kind that you are unlikely to get in the typical shopping mall (e.g. Indoorphilly as a Brissie example). There is not a massive concentration of shops though - interspersed with cafes, restaurants etc.

Another good area that I always visit when back in NZ is High Street - it is in the centre centre and runs parallel to Queen St, the main thoroughfare in Auckland city. There are shops all the way up from Fort St. This might be another option if you don't have time to wander up to Ponsonby Rd (probably about 10 - 15 minutes by bus from the city centre).

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ponsonby Road

Hi Classylad

High Street is definitely the classy place to shop in Auckland. Ponsonby Road is more food but you could still go there if that is you desire.

You can get from the airport by taxi or shuttle to High Street, and shop until maybe 20 to 25 minutes before the ferry goes to Waiheke, 5 pm or 5.30 pm to get you there for dinner. Ponsonby Road is further from the ferry.

Do hope that you will not have too much luggage and that you can get through our customs quickly.

Enjoy Waiheke.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
10 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ponsonby Road

Thanks for your suggestions. We ended up spending a few hours in Parnell (I hope I have spelt it correct). It was great for boutique shops and lovely restaurants and cafes. Waiheke Island was magic.

Auckland
Level Contributor
112 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ponsonby Road

Hi,

For such a short time forget Ponsonby. Was there yesterday - less and less boutiques and more and more restaurants. There are shops in the City Centre (High St) and if you go off the main street into the side alleys you will find more. It is also close (walking distance to the ferry). Otherwise you could stop at Silvia Park shopping centre which is halfway between the airport and the ferry. Remember to allow time for traffic in Auckland particularly on a Friday afternoon. Parnell has some shops and good cafes.

Check the Waiheke ferry timetable but do make a dinner reservation as places fill up fast in Waiheke.

5. Re: Ponsonby Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central