We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland Restaurant reservations

boston, ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Auckland Restaurant reservations

Is it necessary during Feb 11-15th to have dinner reservations at the finer restaurants? How about the Skytower buffet rest.? Would rather play it by ear, but don't want to miss out.

Thanks

Alison

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

Hi Alison

February 14th is Valentines Day and if previous years are to go by many restaurants will be booked.

Suggest that you email the Skytower if you are interested in going there. It usually has lots of bookings most nights.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

Why would ruin a lovely night with bad food?

Try expensive restaurants that serve lovely food, such as Clooney, Partingtons, French Cafe. Great surroundings and definitely a Valentine's Day winner.

Mentioned in this post
Clooney Restaurant
Clooney Restaurant
845 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

Hi Alison

Based on my own experience I would say the Sky Tower is somewhere you go for the view rather than the food.

Always best to book in Auckland's top restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Sky Tower
Sky Tower
9,297 Reviews
boston, ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

Thank you for your input. We suspected the food at the skytower might not be as good as the view. I never go to buffets, but the one there looked great-

has anyone with decerning taste been there?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

They have 2 buffet restaurants, the one on the ground floor (which is the worse out of the 2) and the one on the top (with great view but it's not the revolving one). It is slightly better. Not so much variety but once you get into it you wouldn't be able to eat everything anyway (just like any buffet, really.)

Overall, it's a decent buffet, but don't expect a superb gastronomical experience.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

Thank you. Maybe I will skip it. Don't eat much anyway. Just like to "graze" and try different things.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

Hi Alison

Please remember that the cost of going up the Sky Tower comes off the cost of your meal.

Also the last time we were at the upper buffet it was really rather nice and I am like you not into Buffets. There was a good selection and lots of seafood the time we were there.

Kay

Calico Lodge

Mentioned in this post
Sky Tower
Sky Tower
9,297 Reviews
boston, ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

Well, since you put it that way.... we are staying just up the street, so we might as well dine while we view the sights. Has anyone done the new SkyWalk?

Auckland
Level Contributor
112 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

Hello,

I would really suggest you do not risk Sky Tower for dinner. It is so hit and miss and very few people have had good experiences. If you want to eat buffet I recommend the Langham SBF. The quality of food is excellent and you will have a special night. Partingtons is lovely but I think it is getting too expensive for what you get.

Try Annabelles near Mission Bay (St Hilliers). On the Viaduct there are some great restaurants. You could walk along there on the 11th and look at the menus and then make a reservation for another night. Harbourside for wonderful seafood, Dragonboat for reasonable, good Chinese food, GPK for fabulous a la carte, there are so many...

Mentioned in this post
Sky Tower
Sky Tower
9,297 Reviews
boston, ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Auckland Restaurant reservations

Thanks, I will keep your list. We were thinking of making a reservation at either the French Cafe

or Dine with Peter Gordon. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
The French Cafe
The French Cafe
1,219 Reviews