We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afew questions about Auckland hotels

New Mexico
Level Contributor
181 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Afew questions about Auckland hotels

I'm arriving in Auckland in mid May, would it be a bad idea to wait until a few weeks before my arrival to rent a room? How full would Auckland get at that time of year? In a lot of my travels, if a city isn't experiencing a festival or the height of the tourist season I've gotten some exceptional deals booking the day before or the day of arrival from an internet cafe. Is this a BAD idea for Auckland in May? Thanks, JPoole.

P.S. Sunday arrival.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afew questions about Auckland hotels

Hi there

You should be fine waiting for last minute deals...

Have a look at wotif.com as a good last minute website.

I know that several of the apartment style city centre accommodation places were offering great deals last year once the high season was over.

There are no public holiday dates or particularly busy times for Auckland during May that I am aware of.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afew questions about Auckland hotels

Firstly, as has been said, you should be absolutely fine not booking ahead. Secondly from my recent experience you can sometimes get an even cheaper room by contacting the hotel directly! We did this twice recently and got far cheaper deals than the internet was offering.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
181 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afew questions about Auckland hotels

Thank you very much! JPoole

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afew questions about Auckland hotels

Agree with previous posts. To my knowledge there is nothing of any significance happening in Akl in May and it is already low season in what is going to be a nasty nasty low season. Shop around and you'll find with the weak NZ dollar (at a 6 year low against the greenback) that you'll be able to stay somewhere pretty nice for next to nothing. The Hoteliers pain is your gain!

5. Re: Afew questions about Auckland hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central