We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get me outta here!

SpartanZoe
Level Contributor
377 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Get me outta here!

Have a BMW, two handsome navigators and a desire to see more of Auckland than Skycity....one day, leaving at 10:00......where to please? Scenery, nice pub, pretty towns, North or South?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Get me outta here!

Go North West.

Visit the Waitakeres and Arataki Visitors centre (not an ordinary Visitors centre), Muriwai black sand beach with its gannet colony, and then the wineries and the cafes in the Kumeu area. All only 25 minutes from Auckland City. This afternoon there is a jazz concert at Coopers Creek winery, Sunday only. But all the wineries will be open every day and there is lots to do.

We also have a local pub, but that is what it is, a LOCAL, I would not call it nice but it is an experience.

Enjoy outer Auckland, there is just so much to see and do.

Kay

Calico Lodge

SpartanZoe
Level Contributor
377 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Get me outta here!

Thank you Kay, excellent advice and we enjoyed thoroughly. Now the request is for a nice waterfront pub/restaurant (not in the Viaduct, we spend too much time there!) a short drive away from downtown. Something chic and bistro-stylie, with good New Zealand produce.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Get me outta here!

Hi

Try the waterfront at Browns Bay, lots of Cafes and restaurants, fabulous beach, and some nice shops as well. Don't know about the food as it is sometime since we have eaten there but there are lots of choice.

Did you visit the West Coast???

Kay

SpartanZoe
Level Contributor
377 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Get me outta here!

Just the long black beach, near helensville I think. That looked like a nice town, lovely old buildings, are there more like that? My mum is coming this week and loves those heritage, craft shop, tea shop towns...any others we should see? Many thanks for your advice.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Get me outta here!

How about taking Mum up to the Matakana farmers Markets on Saturday. You can turn off at Warkworth head down to Matakana or google "Matakana Farmers Market" for alternate route and you can have lunch at the Ascension VIneyards plus a small tipple or two for those not driving.

You head north on the East Coast to get to Matakana.

6. Re: Get me outta here!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 13:20