We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire question

Derry
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
car hire question

spending a week touring in north island at the end of may with my husband aged 60 and my son and daughter. My son who is age 20 and has been driving for more than 3 years would like to share the driving of a hire car but all the car hire sites I have looked at state that the driver must be over 21 years.Is this a general rule with car hire in new zealand or can anyone advise me which companies will allow under 21's to drive even if there is an extra charge.Thanks for any help.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire question

Yes the minimum age is 21. Some rental car companies don't hire to under 25's, or if they do they may have a higher excess.

Derry
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire question

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I know my son will be disappointed as he really loves to drive. Unfortunately he will not be 21 until september. He was hoping to share the driving with his dad so we could all take a turn to relax and enjoy the sights of the North Island.I expect my daughter and I will do a bit of driving anyway. Thanks again for your help.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire question

Jucy car rentals allo0w 18 year old drivers....

www.jucy.co.nz

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire question

Check out Jucy's insurance very carefully re under 21 drivers.

They would also appear to be one of the most expensive rental car companies.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire question

If you want a person at 18-20 to drive you have to pay for it anywhere in the world............

Leicester, England
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire question

Had a lot of problems with Jucy car rentals, totally let us down, wouldn't confirm price and car wasn't ready. Bewarned our experience was terrible and wouldn't advise anybody to risk renting from them.

Derry
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire question

Thanks to everyone. We have decided to book with Ace. My husband and myself are going to share the driving and the (adult) kids! are going to navigate. Really looking forward to our return visit, we had a brilliant time in NZ in 2003 but didn't get to see all we would have liked due to lack of time.

8. Re: car hire question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central