We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Connection

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Airline Connection

Hi, we are flying on Cathay Pacific to Auckland and then need to take a flight to Christchurch. The Auckland tickets have been purchased through a travel agent but the AKl to CHC have yet to be bought. I will probably just buy Qantas tickets online as the price is way cheaper than my travel agent can offer. However the one big catch is the travel agent tells me I need at least 2.5hrs to collect bags and change flights. I would think though even if I have two separate tickets both airlines are "One World" partners. It seems like this happened when we flew to Australia last fall from Singapore and the agent told us the same deal and Singapore checked our bags all they way through to Qantas. Our CP flight gets in at 7:30 and the Qantas flight is at 9:00...sure would be nice to be able to do that option. The other option would be to drive to the South Island but we only have 14 nights! Thanks so much.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,918 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline Connection

You MIGHT be able to make that 1,30 connection BUT - airlines have rules for different airport based on averages and (1) you will have to go through customs & immigration in AKL even if ticketed on the one airline (2) International flights can run late; (3) domestic is a separate terminal.

If you are on a single ticket they will automatically rebook you if your inbound flight is late but if you book separately you are on your own. Those cheap tickets are not changeable whereas the ticket your TA is offering will be fully refundable.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline Connection

We fly Air New Zealand from San Francisco to Auckland, land at 5:15 am. We booked flight from Akl to CHC for 7:30 to allow more than 2 hours to make a connection. We booked all flights directly on airline sites, without TA.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline Connection

Hi

Customs at Auckland can sometimes be very slow, other times you go strainght through and it does depend what you have to declare and who is in front of you. Allow at east 2 hours between flights as it is another terminal.

Check out Airnz grab a seat for cheap deals and maybe more frequent flights than qantas but it does depand on the day and the month.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline Connection

Qantas Domestic check-in can be slow, but Air New Zealand Domestic has introduced this new check-in technology where they no longer have check-in counters. They have self-service kiosks making checking in very fast. You could even check-in online (in Hong Kong airport, perhaps, prior to your flight with CX). Then upon arrival in international airport, you have 2 options:

1. If your domestic flight is still 1 hour away, make your way to the left when you walk out in the arrival's hall, to the domestic transfer check-in counters to get rid of your luggages.

2. If you have less than 1 hour, turn to the right until you leave the international airport building and then follow the blue and white line on the road to the Domestic airport. It takes about 10 minutes.

Air NZ has more frequency than Qantas, and generally cheaper, and more reliable. If you manage to sit somewhere forward in the cabin, they also have extra legroom. :-)

Chennai India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline Connection

Thanks for the suggestion. So you think that we should avoid Qantas? I was considering flying to CHC on Air NewZealand and returning to Auckland via Qantas as the schedule seemed a bit better. Thanks! Now maybe I should consider flying Air NZ both ways.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline Connection

We booked our domestic flights Akl-Chc on Quantas, we did it before I read the post about Quantas being not that reliable... (that worries me now, of course...)

Two reasons for booking Quantas were good time for us and it was a bit cheaper than Air NZ. Both flights were NZ 78.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline Connection

Dont panic about Qantas - they are fine - they are just not the main carrier (AIR NZ is) and hence not as many planes etc.

central scotland
Level Contributor
89 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline Connection

Hi,

We flew into Auckland last month on an Emirates flight and had allowed three and a half hours for our transfer to an Air NZ flight to Wellington. Our Emirates flight from Brisbane was an hour late, then it took forever to get through immigration - the queues were enormous and slow moving. Then we were selected for a random check, and although by this time we had only just over an hour to make our connection, they said "plenty time" and proceeded to rummage through our cases. We did make the connecting flight, but our luggage did not. We had to wait at Wellington for the cases to arrive on the next flight (fortunately only an hour but still annoying). If there is a moral, maybe it's that you can't assume everything will work out, so allow for a few glitches!

9. Re: Airline Connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 06:16