We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking trails suggestions

singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
walking trails suggestions

I am keen to try several scenic walks around the Auckland region, & am looking for walks shorter than 4 hrs. Most websites about Waitakere or Waiheke Island only say to "enquire at the visitor centre", but I would like to plan ahead. Any suggestions?

London, UK
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking trails suggestions

You may wish to try the Montana Heritage Kauri Trail. About 30 mins from downtown Auckland. 4 hour hike.

This next link is an Adobe Acrobat pdf file of the (red) trail plus two other shorter ones.

http://www.arc.govt.nz/library/k93908_2.pdf

More info on the trail:

…govt.nz/arc/…montana-heritage-trail.cfm

Alternatively, there is a recent article on Tramper about the Golden Bush trail. About 45mins from Auckland. 4 hour trek. Allocate a day including travel and rests.

tramper.co.nz/index.cfm/…

You may wish to become a member of Tramper (free) and ask some questions.

In the Tamaki Estuary (Glendowie Sandspit – Glendowie is an eastern suburb in Auckland under 30 mins by bus) there are three shorter walks in the Tahuna Torea Reserve. The walks take between 40 mins and 1.5 hours each and can be combined.

…govt.nz/whatson/…getting

The Reserve is a great spot for birdwatching. http://helensbirds.homestead.com/NZ00.html

Last, but by no means least. The Rocky Bay Ramble on Waiheke Island. 2.5 hours. Click here for map and guide:

…govt.nz/whatson/…rocky.asp

Also on same site are a few other tramping routes given on the Island: …govt.nz/whatson/…waiheke.asp

Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: walking trails suggestions

Sorry - this is totally unrelated. I am just trying to say hello to bortiuk and ask some questions regarding Newfoundland travel as I saw a previous post about this region. Bortiuk, if you wouldn't mind talking I am going to open a topic under Newfoundland forums entitled UK to Newfoundland....

Thanks!

Kelli

British Columbia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: walking trails suggestions

Nice trip is to catch the ferry to Rangitoto Island from downtown ferry terminal. They drop you off and you walk to the top of the island for a panoramic view of the Gulf. Then ramble back down to the bottom where the ferry picks you back up again.

Be aware that the island is black volcanic rock, so VERY hot on a hot sunny day, but the view is very worth it!

Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central