We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed please

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed please

I'm flying into Auckland on 6 Dec for 5 days. I have seen the North and South Islands but have never been to the Bay of Islands and I was looking at doing a day tour. I also want to go to the zoo can you please advise of other things for me to see and do?

I don't drive.

I would do a tour of the Bay of Islands for 3 -4 days but with single, breakfast and dinner supplements it would be quiet expensive.

At this stage I'm looking at staying Sky City but still looking.

I want to shop and if you have factory outlets please advise and also for great fish and chips.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed please

Hi

Try to spend at least one night in the Bay of Islands.

If the tours look too expensive maybe you could bus there and stay for a couple of nights. If so stay on the waterfront at either Russell or Paihia. Lots to do and you would then be very central for boat trips, I love the Hole in the Rock one, and also look at www.footprintswaipoua.co.nz for a wonderful experience at night

A day trip to Cape Reinga is also great but you wont have enough time to do it all.

Sky City is very central to stay at in Auckland City.

Factory outlets are out in the surburbs so you may need transport to visit them.

Kay

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed please

Regarding the factory outlet shops - there is a free bus from Auckland City to the Outlet shops. If you go to www.dress-smart.co.nz/index.php/pi_pageid/25 it gives you all the details.

I'm sure many others will help with things to do. There have been numerous threads on here before answering that questions.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed please

Thanks for the advice, the factory outlet looks great, and I will look into staying a night in BOL if I can.

Narelle

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed please

If you want to go to the zoo the bus # is 045 leaves from outside britomart.

Spectacular views can be seen from the sky city tower observatory.

Great fish & chips can be found in Mission Bay a place called The Fishpot,also if a nice day i would suggest going accross the road & eating your fish & chips on the beach. Mission bay is a quick bus ride from the briomart centre - see www.maxx.co.nz for timetables. the buses to catch are 746,756or a 769.

Waiheke is a great place to go to if you enjoy a wine or two. It is an island approx 35 mins ferry ride from Auckland city. Otherwise there is Devonport, a quick 10 min ferry ride from the ferry building. www.devonport.co.nz The viaduct has some great cafe's. A picture perfect to relax over a nice lunch or a great coffee.

Catch the link bus from anywhere along queen street & it will take you to various stops again see www.maxx.co.nz

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed please

If you want to go to the zoo the bus # is 045 leaves from outside britomart.

Great fish & chips can be found in Mission Bay a place called The Fishpot,also if a nice day i would suggest going accross the road & eating your fish & chips on the beach. Mission bay is a quick bus ride from the briomart centre - see www.maxx.co.nz for timetables. the buses to catch are 746,756or a 769.

Waiheke is a great place to go to if you enjoy a wine or two. It is an island approx 35 mins ferry ride from Auckland city. Otherwise there is Devonport, a quick 10 min ferry ride from the ferry building. Also the viaduct has some great cafe's. Catch the link bus from anywhere along queen street & it will take you to various stops again see www.maxx.co.nz

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed please

Hi there

Great Sights - ww.greatsights.co.nz, offer packaged day tours to the Bay of Islands from Auckland, you may want to check this out.

Alternatively you could catch a public bus up to the bay of islands (may be a bit cheaper).

While in Auckland, I would definetly recommend catching a ferry to Devonport (12 mins sailing/departs every 30 mins during the day/$10pp rtn), there is a little fish and chip shop across the road from the Devonport Ferry building, on Victoria St, which serves wonderful fish and chips. Last time was there, the sign read open - Tue-Sundays.

Hope this helps!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed please

Thanks everyone for all your information I will definately take this all on board.

Narelle

8. Re: Advice needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2009, 08:18