We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport timing

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
6 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Airport timing

Coming in from US to Auckland international at 6.25am on a Tuesday(July) and moving over to domestic terminal to catch a 10.10am flight. I am a bit concerned I haven't left sufficient time for processing. Any thoughts??

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport timing

Make sure that you declare anything and everything and dont bring in in any contraband or prohibeted substances.

If you fail to declare and it is discovered, it can take a long time and be very costly.

otherwise time wise you will have sufficient time

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport timing

In my experience people seem to be cleared from customs by max of 1.5 hours. That would be 8am - even if it was 9am it is only 10 mins over to the domestic terminal and you only need a 30 check in time there. The only problem would be if your flight was delayed or late but I'm sure you could get the next domestic flight if needed and hopefully your travel insurance would cover the cost.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
6 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport timing

law abiding citizen here !

thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,441 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport timing

you should have plenty of time and more to spare. You can take the bus over to the domestic terminal but most prefer to walk, it's a nice break out in the fresh air before getting on the next flight.

The longest delay at customs/immigration is that they x-ray your luggage. They aren't looking for drugs so much, as for prohibited goods such as anything made of wood, fur, feathers, and foodstuffs such a nuts, honey, cereals, seeds.

They will even want to check the soles and treads of your shoes and hiking boots. When packing, check your footwear is spotless, with no mud or dirt and ensure you don't have any emergency granola bars stuffed in a side pocket. Sniffer dogs will meet your plane and they can detect if an apple was in your carry-on a month ago.

You may think this over kill on our part but NZ is free of all major diseases and pests, such as foot and mouth, mad cow disease, Lyme disease, rabies, ticks etc... and we want to ensure we remain disease fee.

You can help speed your way into the country by taking a few simple steps beforehand.

Have a great visit :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport timing

Hi CRM,

Granola bars, chocolate and candy are generally OK with Bio Security as long as you declare it.

For Customs Allowances check out www.customs.govt.nz

Cheers.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,441 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport timing

Cheers Stanley, I had assumed granola bars are banned as they contain seeds, fruit, nuts and are often sweetened with honey... and all these are banned.

But you're right. If it is declared it is usually allowed.

CRM, if in doubt, declare it. If you aren't allowed it they will confiscate it and apologise for any inconvenience. if you don't declare it but they find it anyway, you could be heavily fined. My sister was charged $300 for having a tiny pot of hotel honey in her carry on.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport timing

Hi

Make sure that all your lotions, potions, and Medication are in the right size plastic bags and are not over the specified size. Clean all shoes and boots, and if in doubt declare it. Time for us last night was only 20 minutes in total but we are NZers.

I have a suede handbag and at home we have a small dog and although he is never on the bag his smell is obviously on it and the dogs in the custom hall go all round me. So do not put anything in your bags that even looks or smells like food unless you declare it.

Time wise you should be OK but if by chance the flight is late just tell someone immediately and they will do their best for you.

8. Re: Airport timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2009, 05:32