We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

Napa, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

I am trying to figure out a good place to stay that will accomodate 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) for our first day/night in New Zealand while we recover from the long international flight. We will have a car, but I figure we should not venture too far the 1st day until we are a bit more rested. Thanks for any recommendations!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

I guess you are arriving Auckland??

What date and time??? Have you driven on the left side of the road before??

Endless possibilities from lovely beach accommodation to city central, rain forest to surburban motels. What are your interests and wishes to see??

Kay

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

Hi MT, you are wise to not want to travel when you first arrive after such a long flight. Especially with your precious family in the car. Plan to spend at least the first day and night in central Auckland. Take the opportunity for some gentle sightseeing and walking, then have an early night.

The following morning you will be feeling refreshed and ready to go, so collect your rental car and begin your NZ adventures.

This site is great for all accommodation choices... you may want to consider motels or apartments www.newzealand.com/travel/accommodation

Have a wonderful trip :)

Napa, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

Kay, we are arriving bright and early on a Monday morning into Aukland. My husband has driven on the left side of the road before. I figure staying somewhere close the first day would be important after our long flight, but given the difference in sides of the road for driving, it will be a must!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

Re accommodation, most is not able to be accessed until lunch time or after so you do have time to drive a short distance. Do ask about early check in.

Do you wish to stay in Auckland City??

My pick of Auckland accommodation is Sky City as it is so central and the views are to die for but parking is expensive.

Check out www.wotif.com for details of beds in each accommodation and this may help you to decide. It also depends if you are going to be driving north or south from Auckland.

Kay

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

Hey check out Hilton on Princess wharf-they are doing 50% discount on rooms inc the breakfast..it is great offer..

Napa, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

How do I find the Hilton's special? I could not locate it on the Hilton website.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

mom - in my research to plan my own trip, I stumbled upon the Auckland No 1 House (just over the bridge) that looks very inviting. They have an apartment that would suit your family I think. If you don't mind driving just a bit the day your arrive.

http://www.nz-homestay.co.nz/apartment.cfm

Napa, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up booking the Hilton Apartments for our first night there since Wotif had a good rate and the location seems central... And then I booked the Auckland #1 House for our last night in New Zealand after we return from our loop of touring (the night before we fly on to the next leg of the trip). Hopefully they both work out well for us. Only one more location to book for, and I am done w/ that aspect of the trip planning. Again - thanks for everyone's input.

9. Re: Accomodations for family of 5 for 1st day in New Zealand...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2009, 05:23