We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips: Suggestions?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips: Suggestions?

I'll be traveling with my husband on a business trip so will be on my own during the day to explore Auckland.

We'll be staying along Hobson Street and as I understand it is quite central and close to most attractions, restaurants and such.

Is Auckland easy to get around on foot and by public transport?

What are must-see things that can be done during the day? Like a day trip out from about 10am to 4pm.

Thanks.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,222 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips: Suggestions?

Several things to do on your own - take the Explorer bus and tour the inner city attractions - hop off at the stops you are most interested in. Auckland museum and its Maori concert would be a main attraction. Skytower always beckons visitors, but you may wish to do this attraction with your husband in early evening to view the city lights.

Take a ferry ride over to Devonport and explore this pretty Victorian-era seaside suburb. There is a combined ferry and short-tour to the volcanic cones around North Head and Mt Victoria in Devonport-Cheltenham area. Walk directly down Hobson or cut through to Albert St (easier) for ferry terminal building along Quay St.

Parnell village shopping is lovely for a leisurely browse. Take the Link bus - continuous city circuit for a very low price. Your nearest stop may be on corner of Hobson and Victoria St (opposite Skycity Hotel).

Have fun.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips: Suggestions?

Thanks so much!

What time would the final ferry be to Devenport? Do they get canceled often because of weather?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips: Suggestions?

It's ok about ferry times found 'em :)

I've also added Waiheke Islands to the list - NZ$48 for adult Explorer Tour which takes 4 hours. Ferry leaves at 10am and 12pm.

Will probably spend the time shopping, since it's quite nice without the husband hovering (shhh). As mentioned Ponsonby, Parnell along with Newmarket and Chancery will be sure to keep me busy.

I'll report back after the trip. Thanks so much!

auckland
Level Contributor
424 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips: Suggestions?

Auckland ferries would only be cancelled if the weather was really yucky-and then you wouldn't really want to go out anyway!devonport is wonderful for a little hop across the harbour-plenty to do.Waiheke is wonderful-not much in the way of shopping, so don't go for that reason, but wonderful wineries and cafes.Perfect on a fine winter's day.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips: Suggestions?

Hi

I have not ever heard of Devonport ferries being cancelled, lived there for most of my life. It is only across the harbour, but I do not know about Waiheke. Shopping in High Street just near Queen Street is very good.

I would visit the Museum and Sky Tower as both are very Auckland.

Kay

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips: Suggestions?

Back from the trip.

Made it to Waiheke Island. Nice ferry ride, sat up top even though it was freezing/windy. It was rainy but the sunshine peeked through at few moments to take some lovely pictures. The tour was just enough and I took the 1pm ferry back instead of hanging out or heading to Mudbrick (which i wanted but couldn't figure out transport issues).

Took the free shuttle to Dress-smart outlets in Onehunga and the shuttles were packed to the brim.

Other than that didn't quite venture out too far and spent most of the time walking along Queens Street and Chancery. Weather was mostly rainy throughout the trip.

The hotel location was awesome along Hobson Street. Real close to everything and we had a view of the SkyTower. I didn't manage to make it up there but took a tour of the gift shop below it while waiting for the shuttle to Dress-smart.

I do regret not making the quick trip to Devonport on Friday though. Maybe next time.

Thanks for the tips earlier!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips: Suggestions?

Thanks so much for writing a report on your stay in Auckland.

Where did you eat or was it all business??

Kay

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips: Suggestions?

Had breakfast almost daily at Ronnie's. Other times just had fast food and mostly Subway which is quite shameful.

The day of the Waiheke trip decided to have lunch at Harbourside after coming back. It was quite nice but would have preferred to not get the set lunch since i could have chosen something i would have really loved. It was $25 for appetizer, entree and glass of wine. I love seafood and when we were there i didn't really get to indulge.

Our final evening we headed to Kermadec for a gourmet dinner. Small portions but with wonderful unique flavors. The macaroons that come with the coffee are to-die-for.

9. Re: Day Trips: Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central
Recent Conversations