We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my connection too short?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
244 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Is my connection too short?

I was just reviewing the Air New Zealand itinerary that my husband and I purchased a few months ago and I am concerned that one of my connections in Auckland may be too short. On 13 January, we are flying from Christchurch to Rarotonga with a stop in Auckland. The stop is 1 hour and 15 minutes. Is that enough time?

If the consensus is that it is cutting it a bit too close, I will try to convince Air New Zealand to put me on the earliest flight out from Christchurch that morning.

Thank you!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my connection too short?

All going well, that should be plenty of time. Your luggage should be tagged all the way through from Chch, so all you have to do on arrival in Auckland is take the 10 minute walk from the domestic to the international terminal (when checking in, ensure you don't have to collect your luggage in Auckland).

Assuming your flight to Rarotonga is on Air NZ then you will be fine. If your flight from Chch is delayed for any reason, Air NZ will look after you.

Have a great flight :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,147 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my connection too short?

As WL says, so long as Air NZ are aware of your connection - and you check in for RAR from Christchurch - all should be fine. If you feel more comfortable about changing the domestic departure to a morning flight to Auckland this won't hurt - on occassion the internal flights don't depart on time! I'm saying this from experience too - but it's possiby more a winter factor than peak summer event (although in my son's case the loos on Air NZ caused the delay from Chch!! - but several passengers onboard were connecting to RAR anyway).

If the airline is aware that you need to arrive in Auckland to connect with a departing international flight to Rarotonga, they will wait for you within a reasonable timeframe. It takes approx 15 minutes brisk walk from domestic over to international. Or take the inter-terminal bus immediately to the right of the ground floor food-court in Auckland domestic. Taxis will cost $$$.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my connection too short?

I would check with Air NZ. If the flight is late for any reason or if your bags are not checked right through then you will not have enough time. I am also sure that there are not lots of other flights to Rarotonga so you would then end up having to stay a night in Auckland.

Kay

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,147 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is my connection too short?

Have just checked Air NZ departures for the 13th Jan. If you have checked in at Christchurch international accordingly - allowing the minimum timeframe for "international" departures, then its Air NZ's responsibility to compensate you for delays etc. This does happen. And it can happen for any number of reasons including beyond your control (like the loos incident I mentioned above). I know very well from experience about operational delays because I live in both NZ and the Cook Islands. I also connect from a regional domestic airport to catch frequent Air NZ international flights to RAR.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
244 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is my connection too short?

It sounds like I should probably be ok on my connection. I'll just make a note to wear my athletic shoes that day just in case I need to make a mad dash!!! The sandals will just have to wait until my arrival in Rarotonga!

6. Re: Is my connection too short?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 06:35