We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

cardiff south wales
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Topic
Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

I have just read replies on another forum site advising that Auckland is not the best city for spending 3 days. There is not a lot to do. I have just booked 4 nights at the Langham post cruise. Have I made a mistake and would we be better staying somewhere else. If we hire a car for 2 days can anyone recommend places to visit. Thanks, now giving myself a headache!!!!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

Hi there,

Do not worry! You coming to New Zealand and that is good news in the first place! Yes, four nights in Auckland seems a bit long. But, you still can do day trips from the city. Either sailing around the islands in the Hauraki Habour or visit them (Rangitoto, Waiheke or even Great Barrier). Pepending mostly on your intersts. Auckland has some need place to visit, such as Devonport, the Waitakere Ranges, a interesting Museum and some art galleries etc. If you keen on the outdoors and want to see the "real NZ", then you might want to travel north to the Bay of Islands for three nights (takes about 4 hours drive one way) or you want to hang out on the eastern coast of the nearby Coromandel Peninsula (about 3 hours drive). Really it comes back to your interests, wants and need.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Michael :-)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

Kia Ora holadict,

If you have already booked and your confirmation is now subject to a cancellation fee, just relax and indulge in the hotel's excellent facilities. After a cruise you may happy not to be out and about venturing too far on your first day ashore.

The Langham has its own coach to transport guests into Queen st, and downtown. Wander the inner city sights - Albert Park, Viaduct harbour, Skytower, the waterfront. Take the ferry to Devonport or Waiheke Island - this island has very good land tours to wineries, arts trails, historical sights. I can thoroughly recommend the 35 minutes cruise to Waiheke, and a look at this attractive eco-environment!!! Stroll across Grafton Bridge from the Langham to The Domain (excellent views of Rangitoto) and the War Memorial Museum to see the morning Maori cultural performance in the Pacific-New Zealand room.

On the days that you have the hire car - Auckland is a large city built on a number of volcanic mounts. Got to drive to Cornwall Park and see the view from top of One Tree Hill (originally a major Maori-pa site)! If the traffic conditions arent heavy, make your way to Titirangi and the Waitakere Ranges - Arataki Visitors Centre. Continue along Scenic Drive to Swanson and further north to Muriwai Beach and the gannet colony. Sample wines/honey products on return to the city.

North of the inner city - the drive to Orewa is very straightforward - Northern motorway. This is a very pretty coastal town with a beautiful sandy beach on its doorstep. Waiwera, Wenderholm Regional Park, Puhoi (our Bohemian settlement) and Whangaparoa peninsula are all lovely east coast spots. A ferry departs from the Whangaparoa marina to Tiritiri-Matangi Island native bird sanctuary twice week.

On return to city, Takapuna beach has very nice seaside shopping and great cafes.

South Auckland - the Botanic gardens, Clevedon, Maraetai beaches, Miranda hot springs and shore bird conservation area. Several gardens to visit and artisan food markets. Bracu house cafe with its olive oil tastings and cosmetic products.

Plenty to do! Cheers.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

Dozens of things to do and places to visit suggested on this thread-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255106-i404-k6799…

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

Hi

Enjoy the Langham, and you will find so much to do in and around Auckland.

There are many tours and experiences that you can take part of in Auckland.

Check out www.aucklandnz.com

Enjoy your cruise

Kay

cardiff south wales
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

Thank you all for your advice. Not feeling so bad now and looking forward to our first visit to NZ.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

Hi, We lived in Auckland for 3 Years 2005-8 and loved every minute of it. Did not have enough time to see it all as well as we would have liked. Loved gardens, museum, Waiheke Island, Rangitoto, Tiri Tiri Matangi, Matakana, Goat Island, Takapuna, Devonport, Titirangi, Puhoi and tons tons more. The Islands, national parks and beaches all within and hour of Auckland are just so beautiful. The Langham apertifs are so decadent you will love it!

Auckland
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

Hi. We moved to Auckland from the North west of England just over 10 years ago - and we still feel like we are on holiday!! There is so much to see and do. Relax and enjoy. Don't forget to catch a taxi down to Mission Bay for a promenade along the waterfront and maybe a movie and a meal. Gaze at the ever changing view of Rangitoto! You might decide that you want to live here for more than 4 days after all!

England
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

Holadict, do not worry - listen to Frangipani and enjoy. We are very well travelled and we think that New Zealand is the very best country in the whole world, lived in Titirangi for some time and wish we were still there, love it, love it, love it!!

cardiff south wales
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

Thanks for all your replies. Reading all the recommendations I think perhaps 4 weeks would be more appropriate not 4 days!!!!

10. Re: Have I made a mistake - Auckland for 4 days!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 05:16