We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costs of New Zealand trip

boston
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
costs of New Zealand trip

I see that the exchange rate is about $1.45$NZ to $1US. We're planning a trip to NZ next May. Should we expect prices to be about the same as in US, or is NZ a relative bargain?

Thanx!

Robboston

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

Prices in NZ tend to be on the high side. However there are no add ons. The sticker price in a shop or menu price in the restaurant is the final cost. Tax of 12.5% is already included on every item you buy and there is no tipping. So a $30 steak at a restaurant will cost you exactly $30.

If dining on a public holiday a 15% service charge will sometimes be added, but this will be written on the menu.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

It really depends on the exchange rate at the time but I find that prices are generally a bit cheaper in NZ than the US.

We visited the US in June and this is what we generally found:

- groceries are often cheaper in NZ

- eating out prices were similar

- petrol (gas) is more expensive in NZ

- accommodation varies a lot in price but overall is usually cheaper in NZ depending on what sort of accommodation you stay in.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

Our personal experience tells us that California is alot more expensive than New Zealand but Colorado or Oregon s cheaper. This is an over all perception and our experience 2008. And it does depend where you stay, where you eat or what you want to do.

Kay

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

For what you get in NZ to what you get in California Our prices are cheap.

Accommodation has Taxes included in price.

Our motels are a higher/different standard than in USA and can't be compared - so what may sound expensive isn't really.

May is off season in mainly places as its coming into winter so grab a car, an AA guide or Jasons guide and drive.

Ask to look at the accommodation before committing,

operators don't mind but we as business operator myself, people will do a deal but it has to be reasonable.

There is no tipping and wages have to be paid to cleaners etc so keep that in mind- the price is the price-

Not like in the States- the advertised price is only the beginning.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

Excuse the typos but I think you'll understand

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

I see you are from Boston -

I don't know about prices there but we found in the greater California area some of the rooms we stayed in were really Basic for $120- 150 US-Taxes on top

didn't even have a jug in most cases.

Our motels in NZ vary so you need to check out the websites and ask questions as to what they provide.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

robboston: I unfortunately can't compare prices to do Boston as i've never been to the states. However, as far as I can tell prices in Auckland are on par to the UK.

This morning we went to a small cafe and paid 30 New Zealand dollars for a Latte, Cappuchino and 2x Eggs Bennedict (which was massive), using a currency converter that comes to £12.60 or $20.60.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

I would say that coming from the USA things will be a bit cheaper. Eating out is about 2x the cost of buying and cooking your own in most cheaper places in NZ. You can find deals but french toast is about $15nz. In Canada and the US you can get that for about $7-10. So with the coversion on your money it works out to close to the same. Just expect to pay more for eating out, or it just seems that way, and more for gas. Usualy stays around $1.70/L unless its summer. Hotels are way nicer for your money then what you get in North America. For $120 in Queenstown you get a nice big room at a nice hotel with 2 queen size beds. Not the Super 8 you would get in North America for the same price. Renting a car might also be a bit cheaper depending on how long you plan to keep it.

uk
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

one other thing to bear in mind is how much the currency fluctuates. it really is a roller coaster currency and is currently trading very well against other currencies. there is every chance that by the time you head there it could have dropped which would outweigh the usual comparisons

great country though :)

West Des Moines...
Level Contributor
66 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: costs of New Zealand trip

The exchange rate was about the same when we toured from the midwest. I found that on accomadations that NZ was competitive (we stayed in mostly b&b style places)but that food was significantly higher than we were used to paying even at a burger place. That is what wore on me the most during our trip was it felt like I was dropping $20 for a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches at a place and everything was very bland (generalization). I consider myself a bit of a foodie and was really looking forward to food in NZ but came back disapointed.

Many parks and attractions that I think would be free in the US were 20-30$NZ to visit and gas was about 4x as much as it is here. Coming from Boston the sticker shock probably won't be so bad. I'd compare cost of touring NZ to that of touring San Fancisco Bay area but with cheaper accomadations.