We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation on arrival

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation on arrival

First off, thanks to everyone who posts here. I have read many helpful tips/ideas. Sorry this post is kind of long winded.

Trying to decide where to stay on arrival in Auckland. We arrive 6:30am in October. I'm traveling with my Dad (in his active 80's).Our plan is to go straight to a hotel to get some rest/shower etc. I don't plan to pick up a car until at least the next day.

My dilemas:

Hotels won't always guarantee an early check-in and sometimes cancel or give away your reservation if you pay for the night before and "don't show" by a certain time. (considering Ventura Inn) Is this common in NZ?

We plan 4 days in Auckland, if we stay outside Auckland, is it a hassle to drive and park in Auckland? If we stay in Auckland, should I wait to pick up the rental car? What is the least hassle?

I was thinking the Langham if in Auckland. Or moving to a B&B outside Auckland after the first night near the airport.

We have 5-6 weeks. Normally I wing it but am getting paranoid as Dad gets on in years...

West Des Moines...
Level Contributor
66 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation on arrival

We stayed our first night at the Bavaria House B&B. Pretty basic accomadations but they let us check in at a very early 9:00am since our flight arrived about the same time as yours. Nice thing is that it is close to the bus line so if you want to do some exploring you can hop on the bus and ride it to about everywhere you want to go. There is a grocery store nearby and lots of little junk shops.

Have fun

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation on arrival

Hi

If you want to stay close the airport on arrival then certainly the Ventura is a good option. I personally try and stay up as long as possible when arriving early in the morning after a long flight so you may want to consider heading into the city - however you are likely to hit peak traffic so maybe the airport area is the best option.

If you stay in Auckland a car in my view is a hassle. Depending where you stay there is hotel parking - the Langham has parking - but there may well be a charge. Driving round Auckland like any city can be a bit daunting when you don't know the place. The Langham is a nice hotel but it is on the edge of the CBD and sone distance uphill from the waterfront.

You do well to plan to spend 4 days in Auckland (there is lots to see and do) and I would certainly try and get out of the city. Depending where you are you could drive in and pick up a train or bus into the centre. The best of Auckland is to be found in the surrounding area - the Waitakere Ranges to the west for scenery and beaches and the Kumeu area to the north west for rural scenery and many of our very good vineyards and wineries. For convenience you may wish to consider staying in Devonport. This is 10 minute ferry ride from downtown Auckland but is quieter.

Hope this helps

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation on arrival

I think you might find that the airport hotels are used to this situation and I'm sure if you emailed them they would be able to help you. They are in the business of helping travellers at all times of day and night.

Parking in Auckland can be a hassle and the hotels will all charge for parking. If you drive outside of main peak traffic times you will not have so much problem. If you did stay at the Langham then an option would be to either get a bus or taxi to the centre of town.

If you stay outside of the city then you can get daytime parking but this is very expensive unless you arrive early and get the "early bird" option. As has been said, most of Auckland's attractions are away from the main city area so I would suggest staying were it is easy to drive and park.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation on arrival

I am sure that the accommodation at the airport would let you check in early.

We are in Kumeu 45 minutes from the Airport and we often have early morning check ins at our B n B.

But do ask and then ask them to confirm it.

A car in the Auckland central area can be a pain, but if you decide to stay in the outer suburbs then you can either bus in to the city or see the outer sights of which there are many. It does depend on your interests and desires.

Kay

uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation on arrival

We are staying at the Langham on arrival in Auckland - they have a free shuttle bus to downtown.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation on arrival

Hi Seattle!

My first trip to Auckland, I tried exactly the same thing, with the same predictable results. The motel owner was kindly enough, but rooms at most places are not normally ready for mid-morning check-in, unless the place happened to have some vacancies the night before.

So now I do things a better way.

Instead of trying to find a hotel in the morning and sleep all day (and then stay up all night that night, and so on for a week, prolonging the agony and preventing my own diurnal rhythms from getting adjusted to the new time zone), I sleep on the aircraft.

I visit my doctor and get a prescription for a mild sedative, like Atavan or Halcion. Your doctor will give you a medication that will enable you to relax on the plane and drift off to sleep for four hours at a time. When I awaken in mid flight, I take a second installment.

That way, I'll get a full night of restful sleep on the plane, and in the morning I'll be ready for a normal day. Fresh air and exercise will help me stay alert.

That evening, I'll go to sleep at a reasonable bedtime, New Zealand Time.

I'm from the Canadian east coast, so I have another problem. At 1 a.m., which is the same as 8 a.m. at home, I awaken, ready to start the day. To combat this, I use more sleeping pills during my first three nights in New Zealand, so I can sleep in until dawn.

Since you're from the west coast, nocturnal waking will probably not be a real problem for you. You have just a four hour time difference in most of October, or just three hours in November. My minimum time difference is 7 hours in November.

I'll never go back to the crazy system of tossing and turning all night on the plane, then sleeping all day, then being unable to sleep at night, and so on, and so on for a week.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation on arrival

I agree with David. Sleeping pills on the plane are the way to go if you don't sleep easily on a flight. I understand that you want to check in and freshen up though but seriously, try to keep to the sleep times of the new country you are visiting and jet lag will be way better.

I hope you enjoy our lovely country :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation on arrival

I always pay for the night before to guarantee an early check-in and I confirm and reconfirm my book in times with them and get confirmation so they don't let the room go. I too have had many disappointments all over the world when they have promised an early check-in is available only to find the room gone when I get there.

I would stay down town and the Langham is a good choice, if that little bit further away(the shuttle helps though)I would also hire a car if I intend to visit places outside the CBD, factor the car parking costs into your budget. You are much more mobile and the greater Auckland area is huge.

We always stay at the Heritage Towers, very handy to the Viaduct Basin and it's restaurants, the ferries, main street and easy to get to. Their parking fees aren't that bad- can't recall maybe $10-15 a day, not too sure.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation on arrival

Thanks everyone for the posts.

To reiterate the questions I had, it sounds like parking is somewhat of a hassle like any other city.

It's a trade-off between city hassle or spending time driving in.

On the hotel, I was asking if it's common for them to give away your room even if you have prepaid for the night before. It sounds like it's no different in NZ and it just depends on your luck. But your luck might be better if you pay for the night before too. :)

I agree with the consensus to stay on Auckland time but even if we don't take a nap, we can relax, use a real bathroom, take a shower, etc.

Thanks again for the replies, I know you see the same questions over and over.

Lorton, Virginia
Level Contributor
83 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation on arrival

working with our travel agent -- we insisted that an early check in was non-negotiable even if we had to pay an extra day.

It was a package price but we didn't have a problem. We stayed at the Great Ponsonby Arthotel in Auckland.

We then did the same thing - one full day no car. The Arthotel was on the circle bus and we were able to see everything on our list using it or a taxi. The next day the car was delivered and we we left Auckland. Worked great for us.

Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central