We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Topic
Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

Starting an itinerary Nov 6-15 with short notice. Would love to know where to start looking for the above. Like natural wildlife viewing, great scenery, adventerous but dont like "touristy" things. Prefer the inside route on food, places to go....any help appreciated.

I was in south island in March for one week and loved the south part of the island! Cant wait to see the North island.

Dolphin Planet
Sightseeing Tours
Rapu
Sightseeing Tours
Newtourzealand
Sightseeing Tours
Experinz Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

“ Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance... ”

I want what YOU'RE having! lol

I will watch the replies with interest for our March trip to North Island Feb is South Island)

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

Where are you starting from??? Auckland I assume.

Look at the Waitakeres and the west coast for wild rugged natural beauty.

Muriwai black surf beach with its world renowned gannet colony is very spectacular. In this area lots of wineries, cafes and restaurants and not touristy at all. Lots of adventure type things too, tree adventures, snow plannet, 4wd adventures, and paraki springs.

Kay

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

Hi

To find the things you are looking for you don't actually have to go too far.

Within an hour of Auckland Airport and the city centre to the west you will find the Waitakere Ranges, an area of exceptional natural beauty where you will find black sand beaches (notably Piha and Karekare), regenerating forest, walks, watefalls, some of the best coastal scenery in the country and not too many people. There are no lighthouses as such but there is an old not longer used signal station above Piha which is the next best thing

To the northwest of Auckland is the area around Kumeu, a rural area where you will find many of Auckland's very good vineyards and good places to eat.

Neither of the above areas are touristy,

Mentioned in this post
Waitakere Ranges
Waitakere Ranges
710 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Piha
Piha
Auckland, New Zealand
Karekare
Karekare
Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Kumeu
Kumeu
Auckland, New Zealand
Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

Thanks, looks like i will need to search around and post in other forums as well.....maybe N Island is more active....!

Appreciate the places to start looking

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,289 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

Auckland has a mix of all of these - Tiritiri-Matangi islands which is a nature reserve situated in the Hauraki Gulf is an excellent native bird sanctuary, and with its very own light-house. No longer manned, being automatic - nevertheless you can see this distinctive light from a far distance. Stay in the hibiscus Coast area north of city - Orew, Waiwera, Gulf harbour and take ferry from Gulf Harbour marina.

Bean Rock in the inner Waitemata harbour (Auckland shipping lane) located between the beautfiul beaches of Kohimarama, Mission Bay and St Heliers and Rangitoto Island shines its beckon right around the harbour. Best views from Bastion Point reserve near Kelly Tarlton's marine centre.Several very nice seafood restaurants in this area - Hammerheads is renowned for seafood, and several cafes in Mission Bay including the iconic Fish Pot cafe. Order fish and chips and dine on the seafront looking across beach-front to Bean Rock lighthouse. Many delightful seafood cafes in inner city -Sails at Westhaven marina, Viaduct Harbour has numerous, Harbourside Seafood Grill at downtown ferry building, as well as a number of lovely dining places over on the Shore (across Harbour Bridge).

Two other areas for wildlife are Whakanewha reserve on Waiheke Island a DoC conservation habitat for shore birds, the Fullers ferry passes close by this Bean Rock lighthouse on way to Waiheke Island. There are a number of romantic accommodations on the island, set overlooking the sea in native bush surroundings - very private. Good licenced winery cafes on island. Miranda ShoreBird Centre which is situated SE of Auckland city near the spectacular Hunua Ranges, and Miranda thermal pools, is a quiet and scenic spot on the Firth of Thames. Feeding grounds for bar-tailed Godwits which fly in from Alaska & Siberia to NZ & Australia each year. Lovely romantic B&Bs in the Clevedon, Hunua, Bombay ( South Auckland region) - lovely rolling countryside famed for horse breeding and lifestyle blocks, as well as its village market produce stalls. Within easy reach of city with an extensive motorway system on the south Auckland side.

Happy exploring.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Hauraki Gulf
Hauraki Gulf
330 Reviews
Waiwera
Waiwera
Auckland, New Zealand
Kohimarama
Kohimarama
Auckland, New Zealand
Mission Bay
Mission Bay
Auckland, New Zealand
St Heliers
St Heliers
Auckland, New Zealand
Rangitoto Island
Rangitoto Island
1,927 Reviews
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
Auckland, New Zealand
Clevedon
Clevedon
Auckland, New Zealand
Hunua
Hunua
Auckland, New Zealand
Bombay
Bombay
Auckland, New Zealand
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

Hi - I will be on the North Island this Nov/Dec. for my first time... I'm spending time in Auckland with day trip to Waiheke Island for vineyard tours, romantic lunch and beach walk :) - plus I'm off to Taupo, Rotorua and then Whitianga in the Coromandel which is a nice beach town area..... just a few suggestions for you to check out... I had a friend this past May go North of Auckland towards the Bay of Islands and Russel area I think... she said it was gorgeous...

Lots of beautiful places to see - enjoy planning your trip!!!

Lorio

Mentioned in this post
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
Auckland, New Zealand
Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

Thanks for the ideas.

Lorio: yes, i followed your post as well. So far my interests are Waiheke Island where I may stay a couple nights so my husband can fish. There is an accomodation there which has poles, baiit, and a metal boat...not sure what else to do here. Need to check it out some more.

Also, I like the Napier/Hawkes Bay area and on Sat the Black Barn winery has a farmers market that sounds great if i am there that day. Id like to see Huka Falls which i think is nearby need to check out. Also there is a gannet colony here but not sure what else.

Bay of Islands sounds awesome. It is the fruit capital and i love macademia nuts. Id like to see Rainbow falls and Harura Falls but not sure what else.

Lets share ideas if you want, seems you like similar things. Id like a hot mud bath but dont want a touristy place so if you see something let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
Auckland, New Zealand
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,289 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

Hi again,

If you want a mud bath in thermal mineral waters, there is an excellent "very non-touristy" bathing complex at Ngawha which is close to Bay of Islands and near Kaikohe township. Easy drive from Paihia via Puketona junction then cut through the Old Bay Road towards Kaikohe. Ngawha Springs is just beyond Ohaewai township. Return to Paihia via Moerewa and Kawakawa.

Think Ive already mentioned the Miranda Hot Springs near the Miranda Shore Bird Centre on Firth of Thames?

9. Re: Wildlife, beach scenery, lighthouses, seafood and romance...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 05:16