We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Eden via public transportation?

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
247 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Mt. Eden via public transportation?

My husband and I have a few days in Auckland on our itinerary and we'd like to visit Mt. Eden. What is the best way to get there? I see that there is a train stop nearby. From what I gather, the train leaves from the CBD. We're staying at the City Lodge (150 Vincent St) which is not centrally located. Are there any buses from the City Lodge that run to Mt. Eden? We'd be find with departing from the hotel or the CBD.

Also, how long does it take to walk to the top of Mt. Eden? My husband insists we go there because he really enjoyed the views on his first trip to NZ. (This will be my first trip!) He was on the magic bus, so he didn't have to worry about the distance. We'll be hoofing it, so let me know if a taxi makes more sense.

Thanks!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Eden via public transportation?

Hi - I'm not sure how to get to Mt Eden but if you go to http://www.maxx.co.nz you will be able to search for timetables, routes etc.

Just a thought also - One Tree Hill is much more spectacular then Mt Eden and is also a beautiful park area. If you find a way to get there I can fully recommend it.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Eden via public transportation?

There is a bus which departs from near the train station on Customs Street... it is the 274 bus. And stops right at the bottom of Mt Eden.

Not sure of the exact time to walk up.. but I would imagine it would be quite a walk!

A taxi from your hotel would probably be about $30 one way - so the bus (or train) would be much cheaper if you don't mind the walk.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,372 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Eden via public transportation?

I would imagine it would be quite a hike UP the mountain even though it doesn't look too steep especially if it's a warm day, make sure you take a water bottle (I've only ever driven up ;)

If you get the chance visit Eden Gardens too, located just below and tucked into the side of the mountain in an old quarry. It's absolutely beautiful if you are into gardens, lots of natives and a spectacular display(and largest collection in NZ) of camellias and rhododendron. The website actually doesn't do it justice at all!

http://www.edengarden.co.nz/Home.aspx

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
247 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Eden via public transportation?

Thanks everyone! My husband and I love visiting gardens, so we will definitely visit the Eden Gardens. As for going up the mountain... would it be feasible to flag a taxi from the gardens to drive us up the mountain? It would be nice to have the option in case it is hot or if we are feeling lazy.

auckland
Level Contributor
423 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt. Eden via public transportation?

You could probably order a taxi to collect you from the gardens-there is a cafe there-or you could walk back to Mt Eden shops-about 10 mins walk-and taxi from there.Or after lunch at one of the lovely cafes in Mt Eden you might feel like trying the walk!

Auckland
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt. Eden via public transportation?

A taxi from Eden Garden to Mt Eden summit is probably unavailable unless prearranged. Walking to the summit is a long arduous climb, not for the faint-hearted. An easier option would be to take a taxi or inner city bus tour. Most tour companies include Mt Eden's summit in their tours. The view from the summit (196 metres) is magnificent, though can be chilly or windy at times. Take a jacket. Mt Eden is one of 49 volcanoes in the Auckland region and has the best example of a volcanic crater - fortunately classified as dormant. Enjoy your stay in New Zealand

7. Re: Mt. Eden via public transportation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2010, 05:16