We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to new zealand

portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
1st time to new zealand

hi im flying in to auckland on my around the world trip i got 6 days there i never been auckland or new zealand im 28 traveling on my own be there from 6th may to the 12th what will the weather be like?? any tips for things to do with the little time i have. i wont do a trip up to the bay of islands how best to get there???

many thanks ash

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to new zealand

Hi Ash,

Just to clear up some confusion, is it that you won't do the The Bay of Islands or you want to do the Bay of Islands? I am assuming it's the latter, in which case it shouldn't be too difficult to find a bus company that will get you up there. The Bay of Islands are renown for their lovely beaches, but just be aware that May is when it starts to get chilly. You will need to be a huge beach fan to brave the cold ocean waters at that time of the year. However, there are many other things to do that don't involve swimming such as forest walks, cultural activities and dolphin cruises etc. You could easily spend a good 3 or 4 days up there and then spend the rest of your time in Auckland.

Another option, that IMO would give you a better taste of NZ, is to travel from Auckland down to Waitomo, Taupo, Rotorua and the Coromandel. While each stop would be a fleeting visit, you would at least get a chance to sample some of the best things NZ has to offer ie. cultural experiences in Rotorua, beaches in the Coromandel and adventure activities in Waitomo and Taupo.

Have a look at the following website.

kiwiexperience.com/…map

A tour like this may suit you as you wouldn't have to worry about organising all your transport.

Hope this helps.

portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to new zealand

that was right i did wont to go up to the bay of islands have see then if going be cold. thanks very much for takeing time to witeing to me i will have a look the web sites be good do a bit every think

thanks ash

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to new zealand

with only 6 days id reccommend you get a connecting flight to queenstown in the south island as its amazing and only a 2 and a half hour flight if you want to stay up north then yes the bay of islands would be quite nice aukland itself isnt a very nice city and i reckon you should only stay there a night or two

4. Re: 1st time to new zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 05:18