We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight at airport

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight at airport

Flying into AKL at midnight and ongoing flight to HNL doesn't leave until 11.00am the following day.

Are day rooms still available for hire? I can't find any information on the website.

Any recommendations on hotels to stay close to the airport?

Would I be in transit? If so, what happens to my luggage? If not, do I have to check in again the following morning?

TIA.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight at airport

Hi Vanessa

Firstly, you need to let us know what airline you're booked with for the first flight into AKL (from MEL??) and I am guessing Air NZ from AKL to HNL?

Normally, if you transit overnight, you'll have to land into AKL and collect your bags in AKL and stay the night in AKL. There are a few good options for airport hotels, such as Jet Inn, Holiday Inn, or Ventura. If you want somewhere in between, a good option is Novotel Ellerslie Hotel. If you want right in the CBD, there's plenty of offerings there from Langham, to Westin, to Sky City Hotel, to Hilton.

I doubt the airport hotels would consider charging 'day rooms' since you'll be staying the night in AKL so they would charge normal room rates.

You have to be back at the international terminal by around 8am or 8.30am to check-in for your flight just to be safe. Remember this is a US bound flight, there's a likeliness boarding will be early with the extra security measures surrounding this flight.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight at airport

We stayed at the Ventura overnight at Auckland airport. The accommodation was fine and there is a shuttle (much too far to walk, although we had a hire car and didn't need to use it). However, the Ventura is surrounded by warehouses and although there is a restaurant within walking distance, the eating/drinking options are very limited.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight at airport

Be at the Gate well in advance, they are checking your hand luggage again here, checking every nook and cranny, every potion and lotion, every electronic this and mobile that!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight at airport

Yes will be arriving and departing on an Air New Zealand flight.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight at airport

We stayed at the Auckland Airport Pacific Inn which about a five minute drive north of the airport. Very comfortable and they offer a free shuttle service. Check out my review of this hotel as well as the most recent one.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight at airport

We stayed at the Auckland Airport Pacific Inn which is some five minutes drive north of the Airport. It offers a free shuttle service to the airport. Read my review of the hotel as well as the most recent one

Edited: 07 February 2010, 15:02
7. Re: Overnight at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 05:19