We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming with dolphins - in auckland?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
swimming with dolphins - in auckland?

hi everyone

i know you can go dolphin watching, but just wondering if you can go swimming with dolphins in the hauraki gulf (like you can down in Kaikoura). My friends are arriving from uk but only have two days to do things in nz so kaikoura is just a bit far!!

any recommendations for which dolphin watching excursion is best if you cant go swimming with them would be great.

thanks everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming with dolphins - in auckland?

I have never heard of anyone swimming with Dolphins in Auckland but you can swim with Dolphins in the Bay of Islands which is 4 hrs drive north of Auckland

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Northland Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming with dolphins - in auckland?

If there are babies with the pods(which is usual at this time of the year) no one is allowed to swim with the dolphins in any of the areas so it will depend when your friend is here. Some pods don't have babies so it's still possible but it's less likely and not guaranteed.

As far as I'm aware Auckland only has dolphin and whale watching expeditions. Tauranga (2hrs south) has dolphin swimming and watching and as mentioned, the Bay of Islands have both as well.

Edited: 16 February 2010, 03:11
Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Tauranga
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Northland Region, New Zealand
3. Re: swimming with dolphins - in auckland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2010, 07:18