We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9:00am flight AKL-RAR - when to leave CBD on a week day

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
9:00am flight AKL-RAR - when to leave CBD on a week day

Dear TA members. I'm struggling with the last bit of my impulsive return trip next month to NZ.

I'll be spending my last evening somewhere in CBD before heading out to the airport to travel to Rarotonga.

I will either walk from the hotel to the AirBus stop to take the bus or arrange for SuperShuttle to take me to AKL.

If I leave CBD at 5:00am-ish - is that about right for a 9:00am flight on a Wednesday morning (flying Air New Zealand to RAR)? It's just me, so taking a taxi is a bit cost prohibitive (at least by then because I plan to leave a lot of $'s behind :-) ).

Also, my brain is just about to explode trying to decide where to stay in CBD (I'll be there 2 nights). I read TA reviews and then change my mind. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help. Cheers - Gela

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,962 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9:00am flight AKL-RAR - when to leave CBD on a week day

Hi Gela - it's me again, LOL!

One hotel close to the Airbus departure point (terminus) that might appeal is the Mercure hotel on the corner of Customs St & lower Queen Street. You would only need to cross the open public space past Britomart Station to reach the Airbus terminus on Quay St. Alternatively, the Copthorne Harbourside hotel, but ensure you get a room with a view above road level with more traffic noise on the lower floors. Simply cross over to the waterfront and along to ferry buildings & the Airbus terminus!

Before 6am, the Airbus operates every half an hour. After 6am, it goes every 15 minutes. Now then for Raro, you need to check in by 7am for the 9am flight. But, I get there about 2.5 hours ahead just to be sure in case of a hiccup. At 5:30am the Airbus should take around 40 minutes from CBD to airport. I dont anticipate the 6am will take much longer at that hour of the weekday. It's a set route, and the drivers know their drill along with a friendly manner. Last time I flew in from Raro, I took the Airbus to ferry & our holiday home on Waiheke at peak commuter hour too. Journey was a flat 55 minutes. I was impressed by the efficiency and good natured humour of the Airbus driver. Not worries, you'll be fine!

Edited: 22 April 2010, 04:42
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9:00am flight AKL-RAR - when to leave CBD on a week day

Frangipani08 - again - of course it's you LOL :-).

There are two Mercure Hotels - last December I stayed at the Mercure Windsor (just a few buildings up) It was the worst place - the postage stamp room I got for $139 was unpleasant. Is the other Mercure better? I have been back and forth about the Copthorne Harbourside- I think your advice has helped me narrow it down. Perhaps I'll just toss my $NZ2 coin and pick.

The bus was very easy to take last time. I thank you for helping me understand the timing and check in advice. I think I'm close to being able to relax and enjoy the anticipation of yet another journey.

Gela

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9:00am flight AKL-RAR - when to leave CBD on a week day

I think Frangipani is right. As long as you catch either the 5:30 or 6 o'clock shuttle you should be fine.

Auckland traffic doesn't usually start to build up until after 6:30 and by then you'll either be at the airport or pretty close to it.

Happy planning

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,962 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9:00am flight AKL-RAR - when to leave CBD on a week day

The Mercure I refered to is the purpose built hotel which is on the lower Queen St side of Customs Street. It face the corner, and has the bar and restaurant on the top floor. I think the ground floor is occupied by an Air NZ travel centre. Directly across the pedestrian only square is the Downtown popular shopping centre, and food alley upstairs.

The Windsor is not far from the main Mercure hotel - a little further up Queen St.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9:00am flight AKL-RAR - when to leave CBD on a week day

Well, I have now booked the Copthorne Harbourcity and requested a room on a higher floor. I am glad that's done. Thank you all.

6. Re: 9:00am flight AKL-RAR - when to leave CBD on a week day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 09:03