We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitors to Auckland

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visitors to Auckland

If you are planning to visit Auckland please be aware that Trip Advisor has now dissected Auckland by suburb and many accommodation options, things to do and travel guides are no longer listed under Auckland. This is going to be very difficult for travellers to this city as many of the suburbs have unlikely names, Kumeu or Waitakere or Waimauku or Muriwai to name just a very few.

Our central Government has spent Millions of Dollars to combine Auckland as Auckland Super City and Trip Advisor has decided to go back in time and dissect the area.

Best of luck to all TA users as if it going to be very difficult for visitors to this City to find correct information in the future.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitors to Auckland

Hi CL, that seems a bit random. I wonder what the thinking is?

Have you made a suggestion to re-merge the city over on the HUMTAB forum?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12104-Help_us_…

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitors to Auckland

Hi WL

Thanks for the link. I have posted on that now but I have been emailing TA for 2 weeks now and still they are continuing with this crazy idea.

This all started when I asked them to remove Agoda who was showing no availability from our listing on TA. Agoda was finally removed but then we were thrown out of Auckland. We are only 25 minutes from Downtown Auckland. Many in Auckland have a booking site on their listing on TA showing no availability. This is happening all round the world. Anyone down your way affected??? Great for any one hoping to get Rugby World Cup bookings next year.

And we are all now part of Auckland Super City even if TA does not like it.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitors to Auckland

Hi WL,

I followed Calico and posted on the link you provided. It seems that at the moment, TA is not taking any notice.

I recall that in mid 2009 TA changed the forums but eventually saw the light when they got bulk negative feedback.

This appears to be change for change sake.

Cheers.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitors to Auckland

There are those of us also trying to work behind the scenes in trying to get things changed. Calico we have your back.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitors to Auckland

Please Explain, we have your back???????

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitors to Auckland

You are not out there on your own we are in there with you trying to resolve this issue. TA made some arbitary decisions regarding the recent turmoil in Bangkok which proved to be very unproductive and resulted in the resignation of three Destination Experts. We dont want a similar experience here. They should be consultative when making such decisions from afar.

I have been recommended to try the Support function of TA which I have done today to try and find out whay the decision was made. It is ludicrous.

The Auckland region covers Mercer in the South through to Warkworth in the north if you take a liberal view of things

Edited: 28 June 2010, 22:01
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visitors to Auckland

Hi Bean

Thanks for the support.

I have sent them all the Govt links re the Super City, the maps and all sorts of other statements. The Auckland Super City goes from Mercer? not exactly sure of the southern boundary but goes as far north as Wellsford and this is what the Govt has spent Millions on already to stop this fragmentation.

The old ARC disappears in the next couple of months so the word region will be gone forever

Why would TA do this??? And not all of the accommodation has been shifted.

Things To Do have not been shifted at this stage but I believe that they will be.

Cannot believe that you and WL are the only DEs to support me although one of the Auckland ones owns a B & B and to date he has not been shifted even though he is in Waitakere City.

Once again many thanks I really do appreciate anything you can do as will future travelers to this part of the world.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visitors to Auckland

Calico

I think you have more support than you may realise with most of the DEs in the lower part of the country probably not ware of the issues

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visitors to Auckland

And a Yep also from me to concentrate our efforts on this thread. Hopefully the rest of the country will become aware before they too get tampered with.

Cheers.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visitors to Auckland

That is frustrating Calicolodge.

In line with what you're saying, I always thought it was weird that TA have listed Mangere as separate to Auckland. I wonder how many overseas travelers realise that Auckland Airport is actually in the suburb of Mangere? Not many, I bet.

Also, as far as I'm aware, the southern boundary for the Super City includes Karioitahi, Buckland and just south of Bombay. They are cutting up my beautiful district of Franklin and sending some of it to the Waikato. As far as I know, Mercer and Pokeno are part of the Waikato.