We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

Hi everyone,

Travelling first time to the US via Auckland with Air NZ from Sydney. We will be in transit in AUckland airport from about 8-10pm enroute to LA. I have 2 teenagers with me that have some NZ$ spending money and are wanting to know whether there are any shops open in the transit area. E.g. Newsagency??so they can "spend" their NZ$ that have been given to them as a gift. Any help would be appreciated.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

They'll be fine, shops are open for all incoming and outgoing flights. There's a really good range of shops too, not just the liquor, electronics and purfume.

aucklandairport.co.nz/ShopDineAndRelax/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

Thanks for your prompt reply Zappers, but I am still a bit confused (sorry). I always thought that when you are in transit you are in a separate area to the outside part is where all the shops are. So, are we free to walk outside the immigration area to the outer terminal where all the shops are??Sorry to sound vague.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

Sorry I wasn't clearer, the shops I'm talking about are airside, in other words before immigration. You are free to wander around on this side of the terminal at will. There are no closed in "holding rooms" for transit passengers...........actually if somebody else could just confirm that, having never been in transit myself!

Make sure you make your way to the right when you reach the point where the signs point left towards immigration, there are many more shops down that way too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

Thanks again Zapper, that helps out alot. I guess I too should have been a little clearer and said "airside". This is all a first for us, so not sure what to expect enroute.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

Yes Zappers you are correct.

All transit passengers go through Aviation Security Checks at the Transit Screening Point, after which they will find themselves in the main departure area airside.

Immediately after the screening point there are stairs and a lift leading to the two departure levels respectively on the left and right. To the left is the first level which is duty free shops.

To the right are stairs / escaltors/ and lifts up to level two on which there are shops which sell books, magazines, sweets ect plus coffee bars and Burgerking.Passengers have to ultimately go into level two in order to reach the gate lounges.

Auckland Airport has international outbound flights up to and some times after midnight so these shops will certainly be open.

Cheers.

Edited: 28 June 2010, 09:30
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

Oh wow, thanks StanleyAuckland....how good is this!!! Very helpful, thank you so much, you have answered my question to a tee!!!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

Hi again, forgot to mention the airport map site.

aucklandairport.co.nz/AirportInformation/Air…

On my screen it comes up sideways . It can be rotated around by right clicking on the mouse and selecting "rotate".

When viewed upright, aircraft gates 1 - 10 are on the right hand side in the longer wing of the building and the entrance to transit security is marked (11) in yellow and is the Transit Door that Zappers was refering to.

Gates 15 - 16 are on the left wing.

As your arriving on Air NZ ex Sydney you will probably be on the right wing gates 1-10.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

How cool, thanks again Stanley. Had a look, very helpful.Cheers!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,726 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

As a traveller who has "transited" @ Auckland Airport - for 5 hours - can confirm your kids will have no problem spending their money.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In transit Auckland Airport-Shops open??HELP!!!

Thanks PerthiteOZ!!!Kids are wrapped. Your input is appreciated.