We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 full day layover in Auckland, what to do?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
3 full day layover in Auckland, what to do?

Hi,

We have a 3 day layover in Auckland, NZ before we go to Tahiti. I was wondering if there are any 3 day tours I could book that can give me a taste of the natural beauty of NZ (beaches, mountains etc) and a tour of the city. I'd like for the tour to originate in Auckland. Any websites anyone can recommend? Must see or things to do?

1. Re: 3 full day layover in Auckland, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 July 2010, 22:05
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 full day layover in Auckland, what to do?

Hi

You don’t really need to book a 3 day tour and you may wish to consider the following suggestions as to how to fill your 3 days.

The Explorer Bus is a good way to get an overview of the city:

www.explorerbus.co.nz

Viaduct Basin or Mission Bay for cafes and restaurants. The Viaduct Basin is more lively than Mission Bay and the Maritime Museum is located there. Mission Bay is more relaxing and has nice views across the harbour towards the volcanic (extinct) island of Rangitoto.

If you would like to experience Maori Culture then I suggest that you visit the Auckland Museum where daily there is an excellent Maori concert/cultural performance (4 performance each day in summer months). Have a look at:

www.aucklandmuseum.com

Sky Tower - there is revolving restaurant at the top but you go there for the views rather than the food.

Shopping – small boutique type shops in Parnell or for larger shops and Malls just up the road in Newmarket, arguably Auckland’s best shopping area.

Ferry - either across the harbour to Devonport 10 - 15 minutes or to Waiheke Island (40 minutes) The trip to Waiheke is a good way of seeing the harbour.

You have mentioned New Zealand’s natural beauty. I would recommend that you get out to the Waitakere Ranges - an area of exceptional natural beauty with black sand surf beaches notably Piah and Karekare), regenerating native forest, waterfalls, stunning views and lots of walks.

You can take day trips to the Ranges which are under an hour from the city – have a look at:

www.bushandbeach.co.nz

or

www.coast2coastnz.com

To the northwest of Auckland in the Kumeu area is where you will find most of our local and very good vineyards/wineries.

In summary a day in the city, a day trip out to the Ranges and a boat trip to Waiheke and there you have a full 3 days.

Hope this helps.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 full day layover in Auckland, what to do?

def get out of town unless you feel an urge to spend lots of money doing very little. auckland isnt exactly one of the worlds great cities!!! suggest you rent a car and drive up to cape reinga, take bus tour that drives up 90 mile beach etc. there may be a tour that would do this.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 full day layover in Auckland, what to do?

Someone killed my previous reply????

I would suggest that you travel to the Bay of Islands for a couple of nights.

Auckland is just another City.

There are many tour companies that offer excellent tours especially if you do not want to drive. Obviously listing web sites was not appropriate.

Just google Bay of Island Tours from Auckland.

Check out Things to Do on the Auckland site and also Auckland Region site on TA .

There is so much to do that you will only get a glimpse of New Zealand.

5. Re: 3 full day layover in Auckland, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 06:17