We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you are visiting Auckland..

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
If you are visiting Auckland..

next month during the weekend of September 4th then you would be wise to revise your plans, especially if you have a plane to catch and are coming from the north. All of the Southern Motorway's southbound lanes will be closed for 36hrs. This will cause major chaos and traffic jams not only on the motorway systems but Auckland wide as traffic diverts elsewhere.

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm…

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you are visiting Auckland..

This could only happen in Auckland. Best of luck drivers I for one will remain south of the Bombay's.

Thanks Zappers for bringing the matter up. It will need to be kept on page 1 for the next couple of weeks.

Salem, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: If you are visiting Auckland..

too late to change. i arrive saturday, sep 4 at 7pm and leave sunday at 8pm. will there be any issues traveling north from the airport to cbd? i asssume no since only southbound closed.

how much longer going southbound from cbd if you take the sw motorway? since it is a sunday i assume traffic wont be that bad.

any good hotels south of the airport near kohekohe?

Edited: 13 August 2010, 06:21
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you are visiting Auckland..

Pre-warned is pre-armed perry. I'll let some of the Auckland members answer in more detail but I would expect some delay even if you are heading north as traffic heading south gets lost and tries to find their way through the suburbs.

And don't assume anything, Auckland traffic can catch you out at anytime! ;)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you are visiting Auckland..

More information-

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you are visiting Auckland..

So instea of being stuck in a delay for a long time, it will be a really long time!

To be fair I was there the other week and it didn't seem to be as bad as 3 months earlier, or that just that I'm getting used to it?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you are visiting Auckland..

And some more;

7. Re: If you are visiting Auckland..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 05:18