We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
Level Contributor
64 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

Does anyone know of a car hire company who operates one way hires and also allows their vehicles to move between islands? We need a vehicle from Auckland to Queenstown and don't want to have to switch cars at Wellington / Picton. I've tried Hertz, Thrifty, Airlink, Nationwide, Crown ....... no one seems to want to do it, no matter what the cost!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

Apex allow it, and may even pay for the car (but not the people) on the ferry. See www.apexrentals.co.nz

Nottingham
Level Contributor
64 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

Thanks SydneyNick, I'm going on their website now :)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
64 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

Got a one way car inc. free ferry tickets with Apex, thanks for the info.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

I am considering renting from Apex: I realise you may not even have set off on holiday yet, but if you have been, can you tell me what your experience was?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

I rented from them in May, one-way from Christchurch to Auckland over 12 days. The car was waiting as ordered, there were no problems and, although the car was returned very dirty because of mud from road works, no unexpected charges.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

Apex are a good company, you'll have no issues with them at all.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
64 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

We haven't been yet but booking with Apex was easy and their communication was good. The hire included ferry tickets for the car for which you have to book your passenger tickets through them. I was surprised at how difficult it was to find a company who allowed cars to go between islands and was very pleased with sydneynick's recommendation.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

Thank you all - my booking has now been made!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,087 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

I have yet to do my car rental booking, or even research the prices yet. We will need a car from Chch to Auckland for about 5 weeks. Was it cheaper to book with Apex for the continuous booking from SI to NI rather than change cars at Picton/Wellington? I fully understand the huge convenience benefit of keeping the one car.

I've read loads of good reviews of Apex, and I would prefer to give my money to a NZ based company rather than those faceless multinationals. However, I've read on these forums that Apex cars aren't very new. Is this correct? If so, how old on average? (it's not the age that worries me, just we don't want any breakdowns or other issues that might marr our trip, naturally.)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
64 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One way, inter-island car hire in New Zealand

Apex were more expensive because of the 'repatriation' of the vehicle from South to North and the cost of the ferry being included in the price. We only have 12 days in NZ so every hour is important. With 5 weeks (lucky you!) you can afford to be more flexible with your arrangements.