We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Auckland at night ??

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Auckland at night ??

Hello !

I was thinking about taking the Ghost Tour in Auckland city as a fun activity for our family of four. We are thinking of staying at the Auckland North Shore Holiday Park (comments also please) and making catching the ferry across the harbour from Devonport , having dinner at the harbour area (any good family places to recommend??) and taking the tour. Would this be safe enough to do? Do the ferrys run late at night?

Many thanks

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Auckland at night ??

Check out www.fullers.co.nz for ferry timetables from Devonport to the city. They go about every half hour until 11.30 on week nights 1am Fri and Sat nights. It is a short stroll from the ferry terminal to the Viaduct basin which has many restaurants ranging from fine dining to pub food to ethnic food etc. You will have plenty of choice there and that area of town is very safe and family friendly.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Auckland at night ??

I can't really comment on North Shore Holiday Park as I haven't stayed there. However, I do know where it is and it is a long way from anywhere. There is probably a bus stop nearby to get you into Takapuna or Auckland but within 1 km there is only a single bar/restaurant, a fish shop, a butcher and a veg shop. It is a long walk to any beach, maybe 30 mins of main road suburbia and a motorway bridge to cross. It is not an area I would choose to stay in to experience Auckland.

To get to the Viaduct (Auckland harbour restaurant area) you would be better off getting a bus directly into Auckland rather than going via Devonport. The Devonport - Auckland ferry is fine if you want to go from Devonport to Auckland but is quite inconvenient from anywhere else on the North Shore.

Edited: 24 August 2010, 08:27
Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Auckland at night ??

I have never stayed at holidays parks in Auckland but the North Shore Holiday Park does seem to be in a funny part of the city for a camp ground, sort of in the middle of suburbia and nothing particularly striking about the location.

By contrast there is a campground in Takapuna right on the beach with stunning vistas of the harbour and walking distance to shops and restaurants (no idea of facilities, just commenting on location).

However if you have a car then you will have no problem getting around Auckland from North Shore Holiday Park as it is close to the motorway.

I would stick to your original plan of taking the ferry from Devonport as the kids will enjoy the boat trip and it is usually easier to find parking in Devonport than the city. We love to get to the city that way if we have the time.

Devonport itself is a cute little seaside village worth having a wander around and there are nice views and old WW2 tunnels etc for the kids to explore on North Head which is near there.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Auckland at night ??

hey thanks for your replies everyone!

I picked the ANSHP because it was one of the only holiday parks near the city - reasonable rates, selfcontained, stuff for the kids to do and we have a car - the one at Takapuna did not cater as well for us even though the location looks amazing! we won't spend a lot of time in the park anyway - not so keen on paying big bucks to stay in the city and fight traffic and parking problems. :)

I was thinking of driving to the Auckland museum in the morning and doing that, coming back for a rest and a swim and then heading to Devenport in the arvy - parking there and taking the ferry across to the harbour for a cheap "harbour cruise"!! we have done that in other cities - why pay for a harbour cruise when the ferry ismore or less the same thing!!

Then dinner at harbour and the ghost tour.

Cheers everyone - appreciate your help !!!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Auckland at night ??

Sounds good to me, just try to be at the Auckland Museum to see the Maori Experience. It is something out of this world.

6. Re: Safety in Auckland at night ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 05:17