We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waitakere Ranges- Travel Plan

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Topic
Waitakere Ranges- Travel Plan

Hello there forumites,

Need your expert advise. We are driving to Waitakere from Auckland on 12th Dec and have booked for a Rainforest Train Tour which is at 2.00p.m hence we would have to be at the depot at 1.30 pm.

I seek your kind advise on the order of places we could visit before 1.30 p.m. We have 3 young kids with us, as such we would love to check out the west coast beaches (Gannet Colony, Piha Beach, Kare beach/ and Bethells - not sure on the distances of these beach to titirangi. We would love to visit the famous kauri trees too- where can we check it out.

If you have any recommendation of restaurants which we could have lunch before going for the train ride- that'll be wonderful. ANy tips of driving route from auckland to waitakere.

Look forward to your feedbacks.

Cheers

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waitakere Ranges- Travel Plan

Hi

The Rain Forest Train starts from Jacobsons depot on Scenic Drive about 5 kms from Titirangi.

To avoid back tracking I would suggest that you head out of Auckland on SH 16 (Northwest Motorway out of Auc kland) and go first to Muriwai – well worth a visit to see the Gannet Colony. From Auckland city centre to Muriwai is a distance of about 45kms which will take you about 45 minutes.

From Muriwai I suggest that you make for Piha. Head back to Kumeu and at Kumeu turn right on to Waitakere Road. Follow Waitakere Road until you come to the junction with Scenic Drive (about 30kms). At this junction turn hard right on to Scenic Drive and follow Scenic Drive until you come to the junction with Piha Road (about 15kms) Turn hard right on to Piha Road and keep going for another 15kms and you will arrive at Piha Beach. If you have time and want to take in Karekare Beach I suggest that you turn down Lone Kauri Road after about 8kms you will come to Karekare Beach. Keep an eye out on the right as you get to the bottom of Lone Kauri Road for the waterfall. The beach is short walk from the car park. There is no commercial activity at Karekare Beach – just a very natural and special place. You can just carry on up Karekare Road which will bring you back on to Piha Road.

If you get up and going you should be able to time things so that you arrive at Piha by midday in time for lunch either at the Piha Store or the Piha Café. From Piha, back along Piha Road and Scenic Drive (turn right at junction of Piha Road and Scenic Drive) to the Rain Forest Depot will take you about 20 minutes.

I have not included Bethells ponly because you will not really have time and also Piha and Karekare beaches are much more scenic.

You can plot the route I have suggested using Google Maps:

www.maps.google.co.nz

Hope this helps.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waitakere Ranges- Travel Plan

Wow- thanks loads for the informative guide. Really appreciate the advise, are there any suggestions for us to do after the rainforest train tour. We would finish the tour at 5.30 ish. Before we head back to Auckland, please advise if there are places which we could stop or tour. What would the best route to take on route back to Auckland. Any tips on where we could stop for dinner.

Thanks so much:)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waitakere Ranges- Travel Plan

Hi again

I would suggest that you carry on down Scenic Drive to Titirangi where there are a number of cafes and restaurants.

I would recommend the "Takahe"

www.takaherestaurant.co.nz

My wife and I ate there recently and it was very good and reasonably priced.

Another alternative would be to head back up Scenic Drive to "Elevations+ which is just before the junction of Piha Road and Scenic Drive. This has lovely views over the city.

The best way to get back into the city is to continue on down Titirangi Road (from Titirangi) and keep going straight for about 10kms when you will come to the North Western Motorway (SH 16) which will take you straight back into town. Should take about 20 to 25 minutes.

4. Re: Waitakere Ranges- Travel Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central