We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning arrival - what to do?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
58 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning arrival - what to do?

We arrive at 4:30 am into Auckland airport but our accomodation won't let us in until noon. Short of finding a 'pay by the hour" hotel (OMG!), can anyone think of any options? We are a family of four - kids are all under 10.

Thanks in advance!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
58 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

Here's my follow-up question. We are going to be without a car for our 4 days in Auckland. We want to see the Antarticia Museum, Kelly Tartlon's, Zoo, Auckland Museum, Art Gallery: all of which are spread out over the CBD and elsewhere. I would appreciate some advice about local travel from our place in the Parnell area. Should we plan on local buses? Are there other options?

Thanks again!

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
318 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

To answer your first question I think you are going to struggle if you don't have a hotel room when you arrive. I am not sure where you are flying in from but jet lag could be an issue and with nothing open at the time of the morning I would book an extra night at your hotel otherwise you could be dealing with some very tired and grumpy children.

Getting around in Auckland (and New Zealand in general) is often easier if you have your own transport but I assume there is some reason why you aren't getting a rental car. Public transport has improved and there are some other options too.

Kelly Tarltons offers a free shuttle from Auckland CBD kellytarltons.co.nz/VisitorInfo/Howtogethere… - note that the Antarctic Centre is part of Kelly Tarltons (unless there is somewhere else called Antartica Museum that I'm not aware of).

There is a low cost 'link' bus that does a circuit around the CBD but I'm not sure whether it goes via the museum but there are definitely buses that stop there. Buses also stop at the zoo - www.maxx.co.nz will have the details about public transport.

The Explorer bus is a more expensive option but could suit your needs if you want to visit several places in one day or get an oversight of the city. www.explorerbus.co.nz

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

No question about it, book an extra night, I just can't understand people(and you're not the first) who invest so much in money and time on a holiday of a lifetime(most probably) and short change themselves by not wanting to pay for an extra night because it's not a "full day". You're going to go straight into your holiday stressed out and tired if you don't seriously look at resting up on arrival. You can get a few hours sleep, freshen up, unpack the bags, get your bearings and then hit the town.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

Well, we haven't been there yet but are going in February. Like you, we are arriving early (although not that early). Our plan is to drop off the bags at the hotel, and take a ferry ride (likely to Waiheke Island) to get some fresh air and a view from the water. We'll likely have lunch in Oneroa before heading back on the ferry to our Hotel, early dinner, & bed. We don't plan to get a rental in Auckland, but use public transit. This will get us used to driving on the left before we get our rental for some planned self-drives. Just one suggestion...

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
179 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

There are showers avaialbe for travelers at Auckland airport so that's option for freshing up. We plan to use them before our conecting flight to Rotorua.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

Is your hotel in the City? If so then by the time you clear customs etc it will be 5.30am. If you freshen up at the airport first then get transport to the city it will be about 6.30am to 7am when you get there. As long as your are not too tired, you could drop off your bags at the hotel and then go out for breakfast and tour on foot around the Harbour area or as has been suggested, catch a ferry - if only over to Devonport and back to kill time.

I think I would pay for an extra night's accommodation though. Alternatively you could book a much cheaper hotel near the airport - check in there to freshen up and rest a bit and then later make your way into the city.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

If youre staying in Parnell (assuming you are) then you are on the handy Link 'green' Bus route which will take you in a circuit from Parnell, CBD, Ponsonby, Newmarket and Parnell again.

From CBD you can head to Kelly Tarlton's, Mission Bay and ferry rides to the islands or Devonport.

The "green" bus will also pass by Auckland Domain which includes the Museum.

If youre not booking an extra day I would recommend breakfast in a nice cafe in Parnell, followed up by a walk around Parnell and even to Newmarket. No shops will open until about 10am though. The museum will also not open till 10am so you may need to stretch your time out

england
Level Contributor
274 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

While on the subject could you recommend some hotels near the airport?

thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

Hi again BCalm,

If you dont take up the option of booking an additional night/first few hours of your arrival into Auckland, you could also do what a poster is doing above and drop your bags at your accommodation in Parnell before taking an early ferry ride to Waiheke island.

What time is your flight from Raro arriving into Auckland?

Hi ramblefrog - to answer your question re hotels near the airport. I consistently stay at both Ventura Inn, and Holiday Inn & both just on the outskirts of Auckland airport perimeter. Both have transfer coaches with Ventura operating a free 24 hour shuttle, and Holiday Inn having a small charge for a 22 hour per day service.

england
Level Contributor
274 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early morning arrival - what to do?

Thanks,

This will be our 2nd visit to NZ - arriving in February 2011. We were there a year ago just now to see our daughter who seems to have fallen for all that is New Zealand. Last year we toured both North and South Island by car, motorhome, boat, bus and bike - had fabulous time. In February we plan to concentrate on the North Island and seeing more of the National Parks, Bay of Islands and Coromandel area - we have 4 weeks so any suggestions welcome