We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving this weekend - anything I MUST see?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
302 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving this weekend - anything I MUST see?

My hubby and I are arriving from Christchurch for a long weekend on 4/12. We arrive very early (8amish) Saturday morning and leave Monday afternoon.

We're staying at Copthorne Harbourcity and thinking of heading over to Waiheke Island either Sat. or Sunday.

Apart from that, we're fairly open to anything. Is there anything else on this weekend that we mustn't miss - shows, events etc.? Any cruise ships in across from our hotel?

Looking forward to the break. Thanks.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving this weekend - anything I MUST see?

Waiheke Island is great on a beautiful day - great ferry trip and the beaches and vineyards there are great.

Otherwise I would also recommend the following:

- Mission Bay & Bastion Point (great for sightseeing, lunch or dinner)

- Devonport (also great for the above)

Otherwise there's also Kelly Tarlton's underwater world or the Auckland Museum.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving this weekend - anything I MUST see?

Hi

Waiheke is definitely a good idea - a 45 minute ferry trip and a good way of seeing the harbour.

For an overview have a look at:

www.aucklandnz.com

I suggest Mission Bay/St Heliers for beaches with view over the harbour towards the extinct volcanic island of Rangitoto and a back drop of cafes and restaurants.

For Maori culture then the Cultural Concert/Performance at the Auckland Museum is not to be missed. Have a look at:

www.aucklandmuseum.com

Other places of interest include the Viaduct Basin, Maritime Museum , Sky Tower and for shopping either Parnell for boutique type shops or Newmarket just up the road which is arguably the best shopping area in Auckland.

For stunning scenery the Waiatakere Ranges are not to be missed - black sand beaches (notably Piha and Karekare), waterfalls, walking tracks and not too many people. If you won't have a car it is possible to take half day or day trips. Have a look at:

www.coast2coastnz.com

www.absolutetours,co.nz

www.bushandbeach.co.nz

New Zealand
Level Contributor
302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving this weekend - anything I MUST see?

Thanks to both of you - lots of good suggestions.

4. Re: Arriving this weekend - anything I MUST see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 05:16