We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one week north island itinerary- june

Hoboken, NJ
1 post
Save Topic
one week north island itinerary- june

Hi all,

I'm stopping in NZ on the way home from a trip to Australia in early June and only have 7 days. I know this likely isn't enough time to visit both the North and South Islands, so I'll likely stay on the North Island since I'm flying into Auckland. Any suggestions of an itinerary? I figure visiting nearby beaches isn't the best option since the weather won't be ideal. Thanks for your suggestions!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one week north island itinerary- june

Hi

With 7 days you would have time to visit the Auckland Region where in my view the best of Auckland is to be found and either go north to the Hokianga and Bay of Islands or head south to Rotorua/Taupo possibly taking in the Coromandel. You would not have time to visit all three areas.

Depends a bit what your interests are?

The days are short in June of course so you would need to take that into account when planning how far to drive.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one week north island itinerary- june

It will be ski season in the central North Island, if you want to include snow in your holiday.

You could start off with a 2-3 days in the beautiful harbour city of Auckland. Theres plently there to keep you occupied for many days so just pick out your favorite pastimes - from getting out onto the water - perhaps a day trip to the beautiful Waiheke Island or Rangitoto.Theres an awesome zoo - amazing parks, beaches, the Museum is fantastic and on the list goes. Then head south to Rotorua or Taupo for 2-3 nights. Once again theres many tourist options to see and do in the general area from the contrast of the geothermal area of Rotorua to the snow of the National Park and Mount Ruapehu. Then maybe go northeast to the Coromandel Peninsula for your last 2 nights and enjoy the natural beauty of our beaches and amazing kauri forests as well.

You will be within a couple of hours drive back to the Auckland airport for your return flight to the USA.

Cram in as much as you can I guess - I'm sure you'll have a great time in both countries.

Edited: 11 March 2011, 04:47
3. Re: one week north island itinerary- june

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 23:15