We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Topic
New Zealand

which is better of the two islands?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand

Have you done any homework on New Zealand at all? I find your question inane and lacking credibility. Waiheke is the best of the two major islands in Auckland harbour although there are some that prefer Rangitoto. Matiu Somes is the best in Wellington harbour. Give us a break and tell us what you are looking for and what you want to achieve on a trip to NZ.

New Zealand by the way has 3 major islands

Edited: 12 July 2011, 20:52
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand

Are you asking which is better between the North and South Islands? I don't have a favourite! Both are different and both worth seeing. It all depends on your interests and how much time you have etc.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand

think it is lonely planet that recommends skipping the north (:

3 major islands? news to me, the 3rd one must be john key

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand

I'm sure Lonely Planet doesn't really say that...(well I hope not anyway !!)

If you are on a limited timescale (ie less than 2 weeks) then you should definitely choose to stick to just 1 of the 2 main islands so as not to be rushing and doing too much driving - which one you choose is very much an individual choice as to what type of activities and scenery you prefer...

If you choose the South Island then you could also include the other 'major' island (Stewart Island)

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand

ps. beanb41 - as a totally fed up someone who has lived in this mire for 5 years and is ready to strangle almost anything that moves i have but one word for you - YOGA

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand

Hi

It is not so much a case of one island being better but more a case of their being different.

The iconic mountain, lake and coastal scenery is to be found in the south island. However the north island is also very beautiful and is arguably more diverse.

Where you go and what you do will depend on your particular interests and the time you have available. If you only have a limited time then be aware that you do not have to visit every square metre of the country to appreciate its natural beauty.

Auckland Region...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealand

people more freindly down south island

auckland
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Zealand

As per my personal experience, I would like to suggest both Island are unique, if you wise to see Geo Thermal Wonder land and beautiful scenery than North Island is perfect place. But for snow fall, mountaineering, Ice Glaser, Adventure, etc. South Island is the perfect place.

London
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Zealand

I'll be traveling to Auckland for 3 days and am looking for the best things to include and things to avoid to maximise my time ... is it recommended to stay in the city centre or to venture out a bit further ... any all insight / advice welcomed!

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Zealand

How can you ask which island is better?

Almost impossible to answer (or could answer with a well deserved reply too rude to print!) without knowing anything about you, Asmistasha. We have no idea what you hope to achieve; to do; to see. Are you 20 years old or 90 years old? Are you active, disabled or have limited mobility? Will you be driving or using public transport?

New Zealanders are in many cases very parochial so would recommend their own piece of paradise although in this case they may not!