We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua, Lake Tekapo, Napier, wellington

Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rotorua, Lake Tekapo, Napier, wellington

I am planning a trip to NZ . so far I have 2 nights in Auckland , 3 nights at the Bay of Islands and am trying to decide how much time to allow for Rotorua and Lake Tekapo and for Napier. This is prior to going to the south island.Any suggestions. I do want to see the sites.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotorua, Lake Tekapo, Napier, wellington

hi peach i think you may be a little confused "lake tekapo" is in the south island im sure the one you mean is "Lake Taupo",how much time do you have??? i would allow 2 days for Rotorua, 1 day for Taupo and at least 2 days in Napier but it all depends, on time available,budget and what you want to see, can you give us a little more info??

cheers john

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotorua, Lake Tekapo, Napier, wellington

Personally I wouldn't stay overnight in Taupo, I would have 3 nights in Rotorua and 3 nights in Napier. You won't arrive in Rotorua until late afternoon so staying 3 nights will give you 2 full days to see the Rotorua sights. You can then take your time driving to Napier(3hrs drive time) and stop in at Taupo on the way south. You can visit Wai-o-tapu (or Waimungu) geothermal parks, the Aratiatia dam, Huka Falls and anything else you have in mind on the way.

Once you are on the Napier-Taupo highway, other than the Waipunga Falls there isn't too much else to stop for. Do make sure you leave enough day light to get to Napier though, the higway is very winding and crosses two ranges and needs the drivers full attention.

This way you'll also have two full days in Napier, plenty of wineries to visit, the gannet colony if you're interested(depending on the time of the year you visit) a drive to the top of Te Mata Peak is well worth it if the weather great. There are also the Art Deco walks and tours. Plenty to see and do.

3. Re: Rotorua, Lake Tekapo, Napier, wellington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 21:16