We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food/Liquor Stores near Auckland Airport and Ferry Terminal

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Food/Liquor Stores near Auckland Airport and Ferry Terminal

Since the rest of the places we are staying on our trip are much smaller towns, I thought it might be best/cheapest for us to get most of our food/alcohol when we are in Auckland.

We are flying in, and then will be driving to Piha for the first night, before heading to Raglan from there the following morning.

Is there a large food store that we could stop at on the way to Raglan, or any places to buy beer/wine and some snack food on the way to Piha?

From Raglan, we'll be touring around Taupo, Rotorua, and Hahei before returning to Auckland and dropping off the rental car.

From there we'll be based around the ferry terminal (taking bus to Pahia and ferry to Waiheke later, also have a night near Quay Street), so what is the best store (in walking distance) to these areas? I think I found Foodtown on Quay Street which looked fairly convenient, but is that still open or would there be a better place for us to go?

Thank you!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,565 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food/Liquor Stores near Auckland Airport and Ferry Terminal

Hi again,

I thought I recognised the itinerary J9ie, so pleased to see that things are falling into place for your holiday.

If you aren't interested in purchasing wines in the DF shops in the airport on arrival into Auckland, there is a large 24 hour Countdown supermarket at the airport. It's located in a shopping centre to the right of the airport perimeter.

Countdown (formerly called Foodtwon) also has a supermarket on Quay Street, towards the Vector Arena end (east), not the Viaduct end (west). Also, just across the road from the ferry terminal where Naked stops the Westfield downtown shopping mall has a fresh produce store on the ground level called The Barrow. Not a large range but very convenient for last minute supplies.

Depending on where you are staying, there are small village food stores on Waiheke with a Countdown in Ostend.

Edited: 08 November 2011, 19:15
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food/Liquor Stores near Auckland Airport and Ferry Terminal

Yes, things are coming along, I appreciate all of your advice!

Found Piha Beachstay there with a nice looking room for $86/night so I think we're going to head there from the airport (will probably still get stuck in some rush hour traffic, but at least it's a shorter drive than Raglan), and then off to Raglan by noon the following day so hopefully traffic is not too bad at that time.

Do you happen to know if there are any other food stores on the way to Raglan, or should we probably stock up at Countdown by the airport?

I actually just found a thread about the duty free shopping so was looking into that. I can't believe the allowances there, we're only allowed 1L per person in Canada!

Since we won't be travelling by air at all once we arrive in NZ I think we'll pick up as much as we need for our stay at the duty free in the airport, and then just get some beer and (cheaper) wine from the food store.

Again, thanks for your help! I think we may still include a night at Waiheke Island to finish the trip (would be a nice way to finish the trip there, rather than a 4 hour bus ride, followed by the shuttle straight to our airport hotel). I did look at just doing a day trip but then realized that we'd have our luggage with us, so at least if we spend the night there, the hostel has said we can store our things after check out to go touring around.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food/Liquor Stores near Auckland Airport and Ferry Terminal

Just found the Countdown website and there does not seem to be any shortage of stores so we should be set!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,565 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food/Liquor Stores near Auckland Airport and Ferry Terminal

Glad you found the store info. I agree there are a number of supermarkets around the country. The airport Countdown is especially convenient for incoming trvellers; location and opening hours combined.

The DF on arrivals are sited so that you need to walk through them towards baggage claim. The NZ allowance is most generous alright!

Pleased to hear also that you found a nice place to stay for your first night in Auckland. Piha is not really that far from the airport, being on the west coast and tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the city proper. Leaving the city around noon gives you sufficient time to explore the beach and Waitakere Ranges. Sounds like a great plan!

Cheers.

5. Re: Food/Liquor Stores near Auckland Airport and Ferry Terminal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 06:18