We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange at Airport

Richmond,Il
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange at Airport

We will be arriving at the airport on Sat at 5am and were wondering about trying to exchange money then? Does anyone know if that is possible or will we have to go elsewhere? Thanks

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange at Airport

I think it is best, and easiest, to use local ATMs when travelling. There are ATM machines at the airport, which should accept your credit or debit cards. We use 4 character PINs in NZ, so check with your bank if your PIN has a different number of characters.

However, there are also currency exchange offices, on both the land and air side of security, and they are open 24/7 I understand, but I don't think their exchange rates are as favourable as the ATMs.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange at Airport

I agree, use ATMs with your credit or debit card if possible (several of these as you come through the airport). Otherwise, the desks at the BNZ bank branches in the airport should also be open.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,623 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange at Airport

There is a BNZ airside as you come from the airline lounges immediately before you reach a very long passageway towards the duty-free stores. Look for the Transit passengers exit just past the airline service desk. The small BNZ counter is located just beyond these two service areas airside. And there are several TraveleX money exchange booths within the international terminal if you require NZ currency, but time is limited.

ASB Bank in the Westfield downtown shopping centre (directly opposite Britomart) is open on Saturday. The main BNZ branch on Queen St is open until 2pm Saturdays.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,056 posts
5,940 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange at Airport

Sorry to jump onto this post but hoping someone can offer an update on typical ATM withdraw limits in NZ, most recent posts we found on the TA forums are from 2009

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255106-i404-k2633…

I've tried asking my local bank in Hong Kong, where we have rather high daily withdrawal limits, they have suggested that the limits will be imposed by the NZ banks due to lower daily amounts than we have here.

Would greatly appreciate if there have been any changes since the thread posted above indicating normal limits of NZD$800 a day. Thanks in advance

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange at Airport

I imagine the difference in withdrawal limits is because of the difference in the purchasing power of the currency. As of today, NZ$800 equates to HK$5087, so if your limit is less than HK$5000 then the NZ limit is more generous.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange at Airport

Brad Jill

The limit may be placed on your card by your issuer in Hong Kong. So it may be worth checking with your provider. As an aside, credit cards are widely accepted (Except perhaps for Diners and Amex which are slightly more limited) so the need to carry a lot of cash is limited.

Limits here in New Zealand vary by bankcard issuer. For instance there is a NZD$800 maximum limit on a singular withdrawal with a daily limit of $1,500 with Westpac. BNZ is limited to $800 per day, National bank is NZD$2,000 per 24 hour period.

I don't know about the others, though I am sure a earch online will let you know.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,056 posts
5,940 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange at Airport

Thanks all. This has been helpful.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,370 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange at Airport

Hi Bradjill,

Again a timely reminder- unlike HK, NZ is a cashless society so you will simply not have any need to carry more than $800. Apart from icecreams, & fruit at roadside stalls, I can't think of anything that you can't buy with plastic, although I appreciate that your HK bank may impose "per use" fees.

Enjoy NZ!

9. Re: Exchange at Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:42