We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waitomo Caves

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Waitomo Caves

We will be in Auckland for a few days prior to a cruise in January and I would very much like to do Waitomo Caves. Whilst I can find some tours they are very expensive and I wondered whether it was an easy drive for a day trip,

Or does anyone have any ideas of a cheaper way of getting there than the organised day trip.

Many thanks

Auckland Whale & Dolphin Safari
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Unique Visions Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours, Photography Tours
Auckland Scenic Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Milestone Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Auckland
Level Contributor
242 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waitomo Caves

You will find the reason why the Waitomo Caves tours are expensive is because it is a long journey out of Auckland to see this single attraction and the fuel costs in NZ are very high! If you are happy at driving on the "other" side of the road and renting a vehicle, then the trip may be done on your own. Great plan to have a few days pre your cruise to explore!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waitomo Caves

Many thanks for your response.

I don't think the driving will bother me - I am English and I am fairly confident you are like us and drive on the "correct" side of the road. :)

But if am honest prefer someone else to do the driving as at least I can enjoy the view as well!

I don't think it is do able by train in one day, but will perhaps investigate general coach services.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waitomo Caves

We spent February of last year with friends in Auckland and they very kindly let us borrow a car to do some touring. We visited Rotorua (one night stay) then on to Taupo (one night stay) then to Hukka Falls for Jet Boat ride and followed this with a visit to Waitomo Caves on the way back to Auckland. The trip was absolutely sensational and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. Driving is on the same side of the road as the UK and was much more relaxed so I had plenty of opportunity to appreciate the scenery and stop along the way. Overall we travelled around 650 Km which equates to close to 400 miles but it was well worth it.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,951 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waitomo Caves

If you plan to stay within the CBD, near the cruise terminal, there are a number of rental car agencies along Beach Road which are handy to the onramp for the Southern Motorway.

I suggest that you begin a search of hire companies to compare a self-drive tour option, alongside an organised Waitomo coach trip such as Great Sights, and/or Intercity Coachlines for independent travel. Although the caves can be visited as a day-trip from Auckland, the journey could be extended by making an overnight stop somewhere around the caves to enable leisurely sightseeing and driving. Yet, if you are an already confident driver, used to motorway driving and distances, you may be keen to continue to Rotorua for your overnight stop before returning to Auckland.

5. Re: Waitomo Caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:15